𝟭𝟵 TO BE YOU

tw

tw. insecurities.
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

WHEN SAKURA SAW AI before her after four days and four nights of painfully waiting for her teammate's awakening, she doesn't know what to feel at that moment.

At first, the young Haruno thought she was still drifting between the tangent spaces of sleep and reality, thinking that the person before her was only a figment of her mind. A type of imagination that she would like to habitually cope within these past few days to drift her away from the dark, morbid thoughts of possibly mourning a cold corpse of a comrade the next day. She thought that the face of Akashi Ai at that moment was only a mere illusion that is playing within her hazy evergreen eyes. She thought that it was simply another day for the shadows to plague her mind and weigh the emotions deeper into her ribcage.

She thought.

( bright red eyes like bloodstained poppies )

And thought.

( cosmic stars like precious stones in midnight strands )

Until she couldn't anymore.

( ai: the name that represents love, a love she envies and cannot have )

"Good morning, Haruno-san," Cherry red eyes kissed with morning dew and limpid daylights greeted her, smiling pleasantly with blooming flowers and gentle arc. It was the very same smile Sakura grew fonder of seeing day after day while they wait under the oaken trees of Konoha for their Kakashi-sensei's arrival.

Sakura first hated that smile. A smile that feels like home, a smile that can easily swoon men, a smile that might also one day make her beloved Sasuke enamored in the future. She really hated having a glimpse of it in every minute during their missions. But Sakura is not made of stone like her beloved, so no matter how much she wills herself to pettily hate a damn smile, she softened heart slowly found itself adoring it.

But instead of giving one back like before, Sakura falters; pale-faced and something more.

"A-Ai"

Her voice fails her when she stumbles into prolonged hushed silence, that pretty face of hers only adorned with an expression of pure disbelief, and maybe, even a twist of relief and something else to give light to the pronounced heartbeat rattling under her chest. Even she doesn't know what face she is making now, but she notes how Ai looked amused seeing it.

"Naruto-kun is already washing up and our breakfast will be ready soon, you can take a sit there and wait until then," Ai says in distinct tranquility, turning her head back to the pot that is quietly simmering and releasing fragrant smoke in the air while her hands still continue to work on scooping some steaming white rice into the bowls. "Or you can go wake up the others if you want."

Apple green eyes quietly watched her naturally sway and turn through the small kitchen, skin no longer pallid and sickly pale with the heavily bandaged wound empty from the leg it was supposed to be found. It was as if the events that had caused several episodes of dampened moods and fizzling dread above the unit's heads were nothing more but a nightmare. A small, morbid dream that soon made them taste the reality and realize that death is just closely breathing down their necks and that they could be digging six feet under for themselves or companions the next.