eight // 12.27.14

The next morning is something surreal. At first I think it's a dream. Have I really gotten Ellie in my own bed?

Kind of.

My arm still curled around her, she sleeps soundly against my chest, the events of last night slowly coming back. The lights are restored, but the TV is black in front of us. We are still under the blanket, our legs touching.

Sweat lines my skin as I hear my sister Hannah descending the stairs. "No, I haven't been yet. Going now." she's saying, obviously on the phone. She heads towards the door, and I pray she won't see us--

—but she already has.

Her mouth drops open but it's quickly replaced by a wide smirk, and I can only roll my eyes, careful not to bump Ellie.

"Totally. I'll see you a little while." she says to the person on the phone, flipping her cropped blonde hair before hanging up.

"Aww! Look at the beautiful couple." she whispers loudly, pulling up the camera app on her phone. "Stop!" I whisper-yell at her, carefully trying to wave her away. Ellie stirs. "It's okay, it's okay, I'll leave you two alone to cuddle." my sister mocks, backing away with her hands up. She laughs on the way out the door, right when Ellie sits up.

"Oh..." she says quietly, her hair not too unkempt. Her cardigan is gone; it must've fallen off in the night. The strap to her tank top hangs low off her shoulder.

I gently tug it back before I can stop myself.

"Thanks." she whispers, not even flinching at my touch, but not meeting my gaze. "I should get home. My mom's probably freaking out." She moves away, slipping her boots back on and sweeping her hair to the side. "I'll see you later." she says, putting her cardigan back on and quietly leaving without another word.

Sighing, I drag myself upstairs and take a shower. When I get out, I notice Ellie is exiting her house, her father calling something after her, but she keeps moving down the street, not towards my house. I contemplate going to catch her, but then it would mean running out in a towel in front of her father...which might be a little awkward.

"Carson?" my own mother appears at my front door.

She says, "Oh, I thought you were with Ellie." So she had seen us last night or this morning.

"She left. Her parents are home for the weekend."

"Oh. Okay." Those two words out of my mother's mouth sound suspicious as she turns to leave. She must have something else to say.

"Mom, what is it?" I ask.

"What? Nothing." she says with a wave of her hand.

"Mom."

"Are you two together?" she finally blurts with a smile that looks creepily like my sister's smirk.

"No!" I reply, turning away to my dresser so she won't see me go super red, because I know I will. Ellie's rubbing off on me. "We're just friends, you know that." I mutter.

"Well I just thought it was sweet the way you two slept together last night—oh, that came out wrong—"

"Oh my—Mom, just go! Me and Ellie are just friends." It's not a lie, but it's not what I want to say either.

"Ooookay, then. Just checking." she says, smiling sweetly at me while I pull out a sweatshirt and jeans to put on. "Even though I think you two would be the cutest together—"

"Mom..." I warn. My face can't be redder at the moment, and sweat materializes on my hands. I just took a shower--

"Okay! Love you!" she says, finally leaving but laughing a little on the way.