x. stay, stay, stay

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ ── sᴛᴀʏ, sᴛᴀʏ, sᴛᴀʏ

OFTENTIMES, FRANKIE DOES her best to avoid running into her mother during mornings before school, and most times she succeeds, the woman already up and performing some life saving surgery in the hospital before Frankie's alarm can even go off.

Frankie would be lying if she said she likes her mother. Because she doesn't. She has no desire whatsoever to spend even a minute in the woman's presence, but there are times that she can't help it. She is her mother after all and despite barely seeing each other, they do go home to the same apartment every night.

Unfortunately for Frankie, luck doesn't seem to be on her side today as she entered the kitchen to grab a quick breakfast, seeing her mother sat by the kitchen counter impeccable dressed ─ Frankie believes the last time she saw her mother looking anything less than put together was before her father died ─ as a steaming hot coffee warmed her fingers.

"Was that Peter Parker who just left?"

For half a second, Frankie froze as she silently cursed herself. She really should have just listened to Peter and let him jump off her window.

Pouring coffee in her go-to cup, she hesitantly nodded her head, voice clipped as she answered. "Yes."

"Did he stay the night?"

"Yes."

"And why's that?"

Nope, Frankie definitely isn't eating breakfast here anymore. The awkwardness hanging thick in the air feels suffocating as she does her best to avoid looking at her mother. If there's one thing she hated more than spending more than a few seconds with Melissa Strange, it's the woman interrogating her about boys.

"We have a project together," she explains quietly. "We fell asleep so he ended up staying the night. I hope that's fine."

"I thought you two don't get along," Melissa pondered, seemingly studying Frankie.

"Yeah, well, things change even when you're not paying attention." Having enough, Frankie sighs, hiking her bag up her shoulder as she grabs her coffee and a slice of bread, leaving the kitchen before her mother can say anything else.

No, Frankie Strange does not like her mother. Not one bit.

_._._

"FRANKIE, PLEASE ADD a bit more gold on the banner."

"Parker, please add a bit more gold to the banner."

"I'm pretty sure I heard Frankie," Peter teased but nevertheless grabbed the bottle of glitter.

"Stop passing all your chores to Peter," Gwen scolds.

"Yes, well, this─" she made a point to point at all the glitter, paint and glue littering the floor. "─is all beneath me creatively."

Gwen rolled her eyes as she climbed down the step ladders. "It's prom decorations, it's beneath us all creatively."

"Yes, well, the world revolves around me so it's specially beneath me."