xi. frankie babysits

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ ── ғʀᴀɴᴋɪᴇ ʙᴀʙʏsɪᴛs

               "DO YOU REMEMBER that time during summer camp when you pushed me off the climbing wall and I broke my leg?"

"First of all, that was five years ago and second, I didn't push you, I simply gave you an encouraging nudge down."

Peter grinned, pen twisting between his fingers. "I fell on a colony of fire ants."

"Once again, it was five years ago." Frankie made a face as the memory played in her head. So maybe she did accidentally purposely push him but in her defense, it's a sacrifice that needed to be made in order for her group to win capture the flag. Thirteen year old Frankie was as competitive as eighteen year old her is. "Let it go."

"I was in the hospital for three days."

"Yeah, in the hospital crying like a baby."

"I was wearing a cast for four whole months."

Frankie rolled her eyes as she bit into her sandwich, taking her sweet time to chew as Peter's knee touched hers. They had decided to spend their lunch on the football bleachers, Frankie being the one to decide and drag Peter along with her. "Get over it."

He was just about to say something again when a football came zooming into their direction, Peter grabbing it mid air before it could hit Frankie. The two looked over to the football field to see two men looking up at them, one of them pointing at Frankie.

"Throw the football and whichever of us catches it goes to prom with you," one said, a smirk on his face. "Deal?"

"Who said I'd ever want to spend my evening with either of you?" She asked, arm crossing over her chest and not particularly liking the audacity of these men. It isn't the first time she's been asked since prom was announced. In fact, there seems to be a new letter slipped into her locker every morning asking the exact same thing but she particularly hates how these two are practically demanding she goes to prom with one of them without giving her a proper choice or say in the matter.

"She's going with me!" Peter tells them, irritation in his face as he throws the football, hitting the goal and bending it. The men and everyone else in the field turned to look at him but Peter only rolled his eyes as he handed Frankie his water bottle, hers already finished.

Accepting the water and taking a swig after another bite into her sandwich. She turned to her as she slipped the empty sandwich wrapper to the pockets of her backpack, a grin forming on her face. "I'm going to prom with you?"

On cue, Peter's face turns bright red and Frankie's grin widens. "What?"

"Those boys. You told them I'm going to prom with you."

"I did?" He asks, turning his head to the side like a confused puppy as he feigns innocence. "I don't remember ever saying that."

Frankie only laughs, standing up as the bell rings. She takes hold of the sleeve of his jacket, dragging him along with her as they head to class. The hallways are packed but Peter leads them through it, dropping her off in front of her class, one she doesn't share with him.

Frankie goes on her tiptoes as students piled inside the classroom, the teacher already writing on the board. She plants a kiss on his cheek, having no choice but to use his shirt to pull him down in order to reach him. "You know, all you have to do is ask."