6. Pinky Promise

The sun shone bright, the sparrows chirped, the flowers danced with the wind, spring morning was indeed beautiful. The weather seemed to be in a good mood today too just like the two happy souls sleeping on the soft bed without any care of the world.

The king had offered them to stay in the palace for as long as they wanted, but Bara and Wafaa had decided to go back to the village and continue living a carefree life there like two free girls. There was going to be the yearly spring festival in the town which was talked about all around the kingdom as it was grand every year. It was held the next week so they had decided to stay in the palace until the festival upon being invited there as special guests from the King himself and his eldest son, the prince of Amonchiyala who was two years older than Bara.

They spent the week in the palace living like two real princesses. They were given new clothes and the best facilities there. Life seemed beautiful.

Bara twirled in her new anarkali frock which reached her ankles, she seemed like a freshly bloomed flower in the garden dancing and enjoying the new feeling of freedom. Her hair was done in a fancy braid, she was finally living like a princess.

Roaming around the palace by herself, she sneaked into the basement corridors which seemed to be empty. The wall had a huge painting on it which was of a battleground. "Wafaa aisi same to same painting bana sake gi? I should bring her here and show it to her." Bara wondered impressed by the painting as she mindlessly stepped to the side bumping into someone. Before she lost her balance, she was saved by the similar grip, the wooden scent invading her senses again.

"Oh, it's....you. Again." She pursed her lips in a thin line, hiding her nervous hands behind her back when he stepped away from her. This was the second time in one day she coincidentally met him in the huge palace.

"Oh? It's you again?" He copied her words in an offended tone. "Were you expecting someone else?"

"No! That's not what I meant." She frowned. What was with him again?

"The prince charming does not visit this area, if you want to bump into him, you should go to the top floor of the palace. I bet he's also waiting for you to pay him a visit." Qasymbek rolled his eyes seemingly mad.

He knew she was slow at picking up to things, but she was more dumb too. The eldest prince was clearly showing interest in her during the dinner and breakfast time, when she was introduced to the royal family. The king had appointed Qasymbek to be Bara's guard until their stay and after safely accompanying them back, he could resign from the job as promised. But he wasn't sure anymore if he'd have to accompany her back to the village, or her stay in the palace would turn out to be forever long.

"What? You're so annoying." Bara couldn't get what he was implying to again as she got annoyed.

"Oh, look who's talking. Tum mein shuru se hi akal ki kami hai ya tum bewaqoof hone ka drama karti ho?" He didn't say it teasingly this time which made Bara more angry.

"Mujhe laga tha tumhe sirf mazaq karne ki adat hai tou mein sab bhoola kar tumse dosti kar lungi. Lekin tum dosti ke laiq nai ho. Badtameez!" She let out angrily, "Move!" with that she walked away leaving a more frustrated Qasymbek behind.

"Dosti?" He repeated, a new tingling sensation forming inside him. "Ab kya?" Her words rang through his mind, as he scratched the back of his neck. "Did I mess up the new dosti?"

On the other hand, Wafaa was taking a tour of the kitchen and the maids living area. She had lived so many years doing the kitchen chores of the palace and in the maids dorm. She wanted to see how they lived here. It was much better than the cruel kingdom where maids weren't even considered humans.