Chapter Twenty-Five

Some time later, back on the soft lush green grass which was solid ground. A cosy area had been provided for the Fellowship within a pavilion set among the trees near a fountain. They lie on soft couches as Elves leave food and wine for them to enjoy, for Calypso a large mixed bowl of food and a saucer of fresh milk had been provided for the feline who lay still between Merry and Pippin. 

Drifting in the air around them and echoing through the trees above a mournful singing could be heard. "A lament for Gandalf" Legolas sadly murmurs, "what do they say about him?" Merry questioned gazing up at the canopy above, his small fingers mindlessly threading throw Calypso's clean soft spotted fur. 

Calypso made no fuss towards the bath which Aragorn and Boromir had ungracefully settled her into a few hours beforehand.  In fact the Narnian had not spoken a word since crossing the border into Lothlorien, her mind sinking deeper into turmoil and despair. 

Calypso's animal intuition was telling her that death was but another path of life, however having spent so long within the company of mortal-minded creatures Calypso was almost ashamed to admit her dismissive nature towards death. Gandalf was gone and the odd pain in her chest was the only indication towards her grief, her outward appearance showing no change. She had no wound to nurse, no cut to paw over so her pain was shown only within the open air of her silence. The magic behind her words seemingly lost along with her dear friend.   

Calypso was surprised to say the least when the little beastly Aragorn had elected to stay and bath the feline's inky fur back to its former golden spotted glory, softly singing an elven song as he went about his task. Her golden eyes watched the uncrowned king with curiosity, "none of this was your fault," he spoke softly as he gently massaged the caked fur around her sensitive muzzle. his warn fingertips tracing the black tear makings, smiling softly. "Gandalf worked in mysterious ways, he would not want you to face this alone, so no more tears,"  but Calypso was alone, that was one of the reasons why she started following the wizard in the first place, because he was alone too, and the marking upon her fur would forever weep for him. 

"I have not the heart to tell you," Legolas spoke sadly unknowingly pulling the cheetah back to the present. "For me, the grief is still too near," "I bet they don't mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them," Sam exclaims, jumping to his feet.

"The finest rockets ever seen,

They burst in stars of blue and green,

or after thunder, silver showers,

Came falling like a rain of flowers."

With a sigh the hobbit looked around sheepishly, "oh, that doesn't do them justice by a long road."

A small smile played across Calypso's muzzle as her soft eyes rested on the pup. "You should eat Miss Calypso, look-" Sam collected the bowl of food before turning towards the cheetah, "fish, I could cook some if you like?" 

"No" Calypso answered whispery, reserving a few concerned looks, "sorry my pup" she continued her voice still not reaching her normal rich rumbling tones, "are you sure?" Sam questioned, "fish is your favourite."

"I have decided Gandalf after consulting with my melon that to settle your emotional betrayal I ask only for one large extra tasty fish." Calypso stated grinning, her sharp pearly white teeth showing under her whiskers. 

"Extra tasty you say?" he questioned with a smile pulling his gaze away from the tunnels for a brief moment, "Yes, but!" She added her golden eyes widening in horror as she forgot the most important part of the deal, "for each day I do not have a fish you owe me yet another fish. Two days becomes two fish, three days comes three fish so on and so forth until I have all the fishes." "And what pray tell, will you do with all these fishes?" Gandalf asked with a raised eyebrow, "well eat them obviously," "oh well obviously." 

"I'm not in the mood for fish my pup, I'll catch myself something later." Sam nodded however the Narnian could easily tell that the little pup wasn't completely happy with her answer, he placed the bowl aside before raising again and rummaging through one of the travel sacks.

Sam mumbled lowly to himself before finally pulling out a faded white blanket,  "why don't we call it a night?" He questioned placing the blanket unceremoniously upon a pile of pillows. The collection was settled between the neat plush couches provided for the party and was unsightly in its difference, but before the pup could lift a finger to sort the hectic array of fabric a blur of fur and whiskers darted into the nest claiming it as her own. 

Grabbing a wad of blanket between her sharp teeth uncaring to how the rough fabric puffed out her cheeks in a comical fashion, Calypso began winding herself within the blanket finding comfort within its ever tightening embrace. Soon all that could be seen was a long spotted tail tipped in black sticking out of the bungle as the cheetah flipped the blanket end over her head skilfully encasing herself fully. 

Calypso lay for a while, listening to the light conversation of the company before allowing her tired golden pools to close.  Yet sleep did not meet the Narnian upon her surrender, instead her tired mind continued on until the fellowship slowly found their own sleep upon their beds, Gimli's loud snoring becoming the backdrop to the cool night air. 

As the night continued to still, Calypso's mind sank further and further into the sleepy haze of night. Soon her thoughts wandered towards rolling green fields and clear blue skies of summer and the feline's mind began to drift in bittersweet memory, at last in sleep she lay once more at Gandalf's side embraced tightly within his grey cloak. Lulled to slumber by the gentle rock of the wizards cart as they made their way to the shire together, without a care in the world towards the dangers to come. 

(Edited: 22/09/2022)