Chapter Seventeen

At dawn the following morning Calypso found herself sprawled out upon Frodo's freshly made bed half asleep. Admittedly the Cheetah would have wished to stay in her own bed set up in Bilbo's chambers, however the Narnian had been awaken at the crack of dawn by the Elder hobbit who wished to see his nephew before their departure later that morning. Normally the thought of a long journey into the wild would bring Calypso a strange sense of peace, after all the predator was not accustomed to living life contained within four walls and surrounded by soft furnishing. Yet as the feline counted down the hours leading up to their departure she felt only dread and despair, dread at the danger she was willingly walking her cubs and pups into and despair for Bilbo who she sadly needed to bid goodbye.

"Hold still my dear," said Bilbo, bringing her back to the present. The hobbit stood for a moment at the side of the bed rummaging inside his pockets before pulling out his best handkerchief and setting himself the task of brushing away the sleep from her eyes. "There now-" he declared after a moment with an eye wrinkling smile, "you look more awake" "at least I look it" Calypso jested, however her comment went unanswered as Bilbo called over his nephew.

A sack cloth was laid upon the bed, Bilbo drew it aside to reveal an old sword in a woven leather scabbard before unsheathing the weapon to reveal a polished, well tendered blade. "My old sword Sting" Bilbo revealed to Frodo before handing it over, "here, take it! take it!"

"It's so light!" Frodo chimed, "Yes, Yes," Bilbo replied as Frodo turned the blade round admiring its fine craftsmanship, "Made by the elves you know. The blade glows blue when Orcs are close and it's times like that my lad, when you have to be extra careful" "Extra, EXTRA careful if you can help it" Calypso added, earning a hush from Bilbo as he picked up and unwraps his last gift for Frodo.

"Here's a pretty thing," He says lifting a shiny metallic shirt of close woven mail from the bed and holding it out in front of Frodo to see, "Mithril," he continued shaking it briefly creating a shimmering noise "as light as a feather and as hard as dragon scales. Let me see you put it on, go on."

Frodo begins to unbutton his shirt revealing the ring on a chain around his neck, Bilbo spots it and takes a breath. "Oh! My old Ring" Frodo notices Bilbo staring at it and frowns as his Uncle moves toward him. "I would very much like to hold it again, one last time." Hearing his Uncles request Frodo begins to button his shirt back up again. Calypso let out a breath believing the moment between the two was over when suddenly a shadow crosses Bilbo's face and for a split second he becomes a wrinkled creature with hungry eyes and bony outstretched hands. Quickly Calypso reached forward closing her large jaws around the fabric of Frodo's shirt pulling the pup away as he stood frozen in shock, as sudden as it appeared the wild look in his eyes washed away leaving only regret.

Bilbo falls back slumping into the chair by the bed with his head in his hands, his eyes filling with tears. "I'm sorry I brought this upon you my boy," he said tearfully "I'm sorry that you must carry this burden" he continued as tears began to roll down his wrinkled cheeks. Slowly Frodo walks over to him and places his hand on his shoulder in comfort from behind the bed Calypso edged forward, curling her slender form around the pair until they both were encased in her warmth. Bilbo reaches out and holds Frodo's hand, "I'm sorry for everything."

                                                                                   ————

Later that morning the fellowship stood ready for their departure from Rivendell. A small crowd had gathered to see the group off into the wilds of Middle Earth, among them stood Arwen and Lord Elrond who addressed the fellowship. "The ringbearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom and you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will. Farewell, hold to your purpose and may the blessings of the elves, and men, and all free folk go with you."

"The fellowship awaits the ringbearer" Gandalf states to Frodo, the young hobbit stood before everyone looking around nervously, slowly he turns and walks through the arches leading away from Rivendell the fellowship a-headed by Gandalf trailed behind. "Mordor," Frodo murmured aloud "Gandalf, is it left or right?" he questioned.

"Left," he whispered.

One by one the order is lead through the archway marking the edge of Rivendell lead by Frodo, behind trailed Gandalf, Gimli, Boromir, Pippin, Merry, Legolas and Sam, Calypso however stood at the border waiting for Aragorn who had paused for a moment. The feline watched as Arwen and Aragorn exchanged a long glance filled with an emotion Calypso herself was far too familar with. A look of longing and love. "Come along beastie" Calypso whispered softly after a moment just loud enough to be heard by the man. He stood for a moment longer before smiling and nodding his head, a silent message for Arwen to say he would return and all would be well before he too turned and followed the others under the archway and across the border.

At the end of the line Calypso was the last to leave Rivendell, and as her paws took their first few steps into the wild she felt the unknown world around her come alive. She could hear the crickets in the tall grass, smell the deer in the eastern meadows and the rabbits in the open plains to the south, but above all she could sense the unease thick in the air.

The safety of Rivendell was behind them, the dangers and uncertainty of the wild was ahead.

(Edited: 22/09/2022)