Part 12: INHERIT, Feb 3

INHERIT

                                                                              Feb 03

My wife and I opened the sliding glass door and stepped out onto our balcony. The day was a beautiful seventy-five degrees with a light breeze. This weather also meant that the seas were very calm as we leaned on the balcony rail gathering in the warming sun. The bow of the ship cut through the light swells with a pulsating sound of the wash being cast away like the gentle breathing of a giant.

The nearly cloudless sky sported a number of birds. They stalked the length of the ship from the stern before circling widely back to repeat their hunt. The line of birds brought to mind playing musical chairs. In this game, however, the object was to see which would be lucky enough to spot the fish just below the surface or perhaps be in line for the startled flying fish as it launched itself from the water sometimes staying in flight for almost one hundred yards. The patience of the birds in the hunt seemed as tireless as their hours of flying alongside.

This was the third day of our cruise on the all-inclusive ship. We had already stopped in Key West and now were steaming further into the Caribbean for fourteen days of tropical islands, beaches, snorkeling as well as various other excursions through the lush tropical terrain.

Our suite was spacious with our very own minibar in the small fridge. King-sized bed with a most comfortable mattress covered with a warm duvet, making it necessary to turn the air conditioning well down at night so it could be fully appreciated. The bath sported a tub as well as a shower complete with an overhead rain nozzle or a front-facing wand if you preferred. Separate sinks mounted in the granite would allow us to create our own space for toiletries. And, all this with a suite steward to keep it tidied up and cleaned as necessary several times a day.

The cuisine in the everyday restaurant was superb and this night we were to be treated to the feasting of one of the three specialty restaurants. I already had my eye set on a hefty portion of Alaskan King Crab whine my wife was eagerly anticipating the crab cakes along with succulent lamb chops.

I walked back into the suite. I had a phone call to make and this cruise even provided several hours of ship-to-shore telephone time. I wasn't eager to make this call.

I punched in all the numbers and fortunately got them right. The phone rang and then was answered. "Uh, hello son. This is Dad," like he wouldn't recognize a voice he had heard for some fifty years, "uh,.....we need to have a little chat. You know how you might be expecting to inherit a little money after we are gone? Well,....... about that....."

(The circumstances were not like this but we did jokingly tell our son that we were spending all of his inheritance on cruises. To his credit, his reply was to go enjoy ourselves, he was fine.)