YEAR: 26 Aug

YEAR

                                                                            26 Aug

"It does not appear he is yours," Bear Killer whispered back. The sun had been warming the stones that lay on and would soon reach an uncomfortable level. "It has been a year that we have been hiding to watch the Spirit Horse. He may know your heart, but he still resists your touch!"

The breeze was coming gently up the rise from the valley carrying their scent away from the horse. There should have been no way of knowing they were there watching him, but his attention stayed focused on the spot where they hid. A tumbling pebble or a snapped twig would cause the horse to bolt away mane and flowing tail riding the wind.

"What is a year when you have found the piece of yourself that was missing?" Spirit Talker asked with no rebuke or criticism.

"Finding the missing piece is good," then with a bit of humor in his voice, Bear added, "having that piece in your hand would be better. Will we be old men before this is done?"

"We can not tell the wind how hard to blow, or the river how strong to run. I can not tell his heart when to trust before it is ready." Spirit knew that Bear understood these things. It had been a long time since they had first seen the Paint. Even a good friend would grow weary of the wait.

"I will sing to his heart," Spirit Talker said softly, "perhaps he will hear it today."

Spirit Talker started the methodical chant so low that Bear almost could not hear it. As slow as pouring honey on a cold day he sang louder. As the horse first detected the noise, he reared on his hind legs, stamping his front hooves on the ground in a challenge. The song grew louder. The horse bolted to the right, ran a tight circle, and came to a bracing halt again facing toward the boys. In the times before, he had bolted and run away with no hint of returning. Perhaps this was progress.

Watching the horse standing with muscles quivering, Spirit Talker slowly stood up, his eyes focused on the eyes of the horse. The horse snorted and reared slightly stamping the ground, but he did not run.

The volume of his song was easily heard now. He eased himself off the rock and edged, at a snail's pace, toward the horse. With a few snorts and a shake of his head the horse stood.

With his pulse pounding in his ears, Spirit Talker managed to bring himself within arms reach of the horse. With infinite care, he raised his hand and lightly touched the horses muzzle.

The touch was just that one bit too much. With a loud scream, the horse reared his front hooves higher than Spirit Talkers head, and stamped ferociously almost on the boys feet, then he bolted away again. This time with no sign that he would turn or slow down. Spirit Talker watched, in silence, until the horse disappeared out of sight over a rise.

"You are a strong man, my brother", Bear said as he walked up, "but this horse may be stronger."