Part 21: SHINE, 08 Apr

My aplolgies, between travel, personal stuff and just hitting a mental slump, I find myself far behind on the prompts.  Not the first time, likely not the last.  This continues the storyline introduced in the two previous prompts.  I keep thinking that the story is complete, then several readers say they can't wait to see what happens next.  So, the storyline has continued and probably will for awhile.  Hope you enjoy it.

ptb

                                                                                     SHINE

                                                                                      08 Apr

I left the office of my "friend", slash now boss, as a low-level employee rather than as a partner, doing my best to give him the image of a repentant, changed man. My first attempt to take control of the company we both created fell short. I misjudged my old partner/now boss and at the very moment I was reveling in the sweeping victory that would have put him out of the company while slamming the door behind him, I found he had safeguards in place to protect himself. He used those safeguards well.

Almost to the point of gagging, I swallowed my humiliation. I played the 'changed man' part well enough that I got a job back. This one at the bottom of the company, not the top. I always had the ability to shine at any job if I wanted to. For now, I wanted to be the best thing since pop-up toast. From my time as a partner in developing the programs, I had learned enough about the software to see where a few minor tweaks could make the implementation in Distribution Branch much more efficient and cost-effective. I was very surprised and pleased when this resulted in a pay raise and a slight bump up in position. I was astonished that my old friend/new boss could be this gullible.

My initial access was limited to basic functions or to a read-only capability. Very slowly, very gradually, I worked my way into the software. I had to be careful. Like the saying 'the walls have ears', errant inputs to the wrong string of the program would send alarm notices blaring like klaxons. The progress was agonizingly slow, but there was no sign I had been detected.

The things I did not highlight in the proposal I submitted for change were the core modifications to the software that was being implemented. These changes would allow a complete shutdown of the system when key coded instructions were input. Only I knew these codes. If nothing else, what I had learned from my previous catastrophic failure was how to be just as sneaky as he was. And like his touting of his father's advice, I plan to show him the advice I learned in the Navy, "you don't get mad, you get even".

A little more access, a little more time, and I plan to blow my boss out of the water and destroy his company, his dream.