《Chapter 1》

Snapes POV:

I hated teaching. It was boring, tedious work. And the thickheaded students at Hogswarts seemed oblivious to the knowledge I crammed down their throats. Neville Longbottom had already caused six accidents in my Potions class this week. Six. I felt a sneer curl my lip as I swept into my classroom.

If there was one thing I was looking forward to, it was today. After today, I could relax in a (somewhat) student free environment. My cold gaze swept over the students hunched in their seats. Potter and his little friends were whispering on the back row.

"Potter. What do I get when I add three silvian tree flowers with six drops of Firebane?"

Granger's grubby hand shot in the air. Ugh. What a complete miss know it all.
"I don't know Sir." Typical Potter. "How would I cure a Sniviling case of Wortpox?" I asked, stalking closer. Granger waved her hand. "I still don't know Sir. I think Hermione can tell you." Granger burst with an explanation with a tumble of words.

"Silvian tree flowers contain the necessary chemicals, that, when reacted with Firebane, create a strong poison commonly known as Silver Death. To cure a bad case of Sniviling Wortpox, you need a Phoenix feather dipped in Wort toad guts to be swiped across the afflicted's forehead. However, if not done carefully, the side effects include-"

I hissed my next words. "Ten points from Gryffindor." Granger fell silent. Good. She finally shut up. I could already feel a headache coming on. "Perhaps Potter could take some advice from you Granger, and stuff his head with useless facts." I sneered.

"Open your books to page 423. We will be reviewing the various side effects of Wortpox and proper ways to administer Silver Death."

I swirled my cloak (I relished the look of terror on the closest student's faces) and prowled to the front of the room.

I breathed a sigh of relief after the Gryffindors left for lunch. Potter was a piece of work. I didn't understand how everyone could love and admire him. He was that git James Potter's boy. Even looking at the boy brought painful memories to the surface.

He had Lilly's eyes. Lilly. Lilly. Her green eyes and fiery hair flashed in my mind. I felt an intense hatred inside of me. James was dead because he couldn't protect Lilly. If she had chosen me...

I was startled out of my brooding by a dreamy voice sounding on the stairs. "Good Afternoon Professor." It was Luna Lovegood. "I noticed you were looking particularly sad today, so I brought you some of my father's new hair shampoo. It's 100% cruelty free, organic, and vegan."

I groaned inwardly and pasted a sneer on my face. "Yes. I can see that." Lovegood shoved the bottle into my long fingers.

"See you after lunch Professor." Lovegood gave a wave and skipped up the stairs. I held up the bottle, examining the glittering contents. The bright colored label read, "Snoz weed, Brinkle berries, Orange bubble pods, and essence of Fabulous." I wouldn't mind being fabulous. I knew (because I'm such a gifted Potions expert) that Fabulous was a rare breed of plant that made people like you better.
I cursed under my breathe.

Stinkpus. Smelly crappies and Stinkpus.

Slipping the bottle into my pocket, I flipped my silky black hair. I was already loathed by every Hogwarts student in existence. Erm, except perhaps Lovegood. But it was better to be feared than to be loved. I pulled out a cheese and salami sandwich for my lunch, biting into the sandwich like I was biting into James Potter's arm.

I usually took my lunch breaks in the silence of my deep dungeon classroom, but today I had decided to organize my ingredients closet. I was putting vials of Gillyweed into alphabetical order, when I heard a strange whirring sound.

I paused what I was doing and saw the strangest beast scurrying across my classroom floor. It was circular and black, like a disc, with two gleaming eyes (one red and one green).

It suddenly turned towards me and started whirring again. I stepped aside, promising myself that whoever had set this beast loose in my classroom would be serving a lifetime of detention.

Dirt detected. Must clean.

The beast talked?!

SLUUURRRP.

I glared over my shoulder and saw my beautiful cloak caught in its mouth.

"Stupid beast!" I yanked hard on my cloak, but only succeeded in making the thing pull harder. I grabbed my wand and roared, "Expelliarmis!" The beast exploded into a sparking mess of wires and electricity. "Did you see his face?" A voice snickered from outside my classroom. "He looked like an old bat! Oh, look at me, I'm flapping my cape!" The second voice responded, bursting into laughter. I scowled.

The Weasley twins. Notorious tricksters and a pestilence to this school. They would not live to see another day. I rolled up my sleeves, poised my wand, and shouted, "Levicorpus!" The twin red heads bobbed into view, and Fred yelled, "Oi, George, look at me! I'm a fish!" He pursed his lips and pretended to swim in the air.

My voice was soft, yet deadly. "Are you aware of the damage you have caused?" George scoffed. "It's not our fault you dress like an old bat. Our little vacuum friend that we borrowed just wanted to say hi." My jaw clenched. "Your father can hardly afford to buy you pants." Fred and George burst into shouting at once.

They were making such a racket, suspended in air, that they attracted the attention of Professor Lillian.

Professor Lillian was the new Care of Magical Creatures Professor. She had won the United Wizards Potionology award this year for discovering a cure to the Wimples. I sneered as she swept into the room. Her icy eyes caught my obsidian ones. "What's all this noise, Professor Snape?" My name rolled off her tongue.

"It would seem these weasels have found yet another reason for me to poison them." The shouting instantly began again. Lillian raised her hands for silence. "Fred, George, I think it is time you go to class now." She pulled out a wand and muttered, "Liberacorpus."

The twins dropped to the floor, each one momentarily out of breathe. "You will each serve detention after Potions class for a month." My eyes flashed. "I look forward to seeing you then." The twins sulkily exited the classroom. "I had it under control." I kept my voice extra silky. Lillian ran a hand through her fiery hair.

How the heck did she know the name of the counter jinx I invented?

Lillian raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure you had it under control. The real reason I came here, Professor, is because I have a new student who needs your Wolfsbane potion." I chuckled darkly. "Lillian, you and I both know who this "student" is. He's a monster, and a threat to the other students."

Lillian puffed her chest out. "Since when did you care about the other students?" I narrowed my eyes. "I don't. But I will brew the potion, if that makes you leave." I watched Lillian turn on her heel and march away.

Something about that woman was infuriating.