《Chapter 19》

Lillian's POV:

I opened my favorite book with a sigh of pleasure. It had been a very long and very tiring day. There had been a Pygmy Puff stampede, a gargantuan Stinkbomb explosion, naughty Slytherins setting off Fillibuster fireworks, and a shy Bowtruckle getting tangled in Luna Lovegood's hair.

My wandtip glowed brightly like a comforting star as I read. Reading was my one escape from the cruel and pleasurable pains of reality. The cover of my book was well worn and pages were lovingly dog-eared in places. Each page crinkled merrily as as I skimmed through the words.

When I came to the part in my book about the Dark Prince, a bit of laughter exuberantly tickled my throat. Severus's stern face and tempestuous pupils lingered in my thoughts.

Never in the time I had known the brooding Professor had Severus ever opened up to me. He had always been so distant, so frigid, so aloof. I marveled at how Severus had revealed a place so very special to him when he saved my life.

He could have appareted anywhere in the wide world, but he chose to escape to the Silverwoods. The toutch of his fingers had awakened a hidden flame in me...yet there was one thing that was leering at my conscience. It was the fact that Severus Snape was a Deatheater.

He had hid behind his silver mask and extinguished human lives. Could I ever forgive someone for that? I lay back on my pillow and stared up at the ceiling. Opinions and feelings swirled inside me like a bottle of glitter that had been shaken.

Somewhere, deep inside Severus's indifferently artic attitude, was a man who had lived through tragedy. I admitted that this fact intrigued me more than his mysteriously murderous past. I absentmindedly flipped to the beginning of my book and a dried flower fell out.

I admired the dried rose I assumed Kaimyth had given me. I pictured Kaimyth's willowy figure and smiled softly, thinking of our dance at the Fall Ball. Kai genuinely seemed like a good person, and I idly wondered if he had a past as troubled as Severus. A Wood Elve's lifespan could last more than a millenia, and I stupidly had never asked Kai's age.

Would he be older than dirt or could Elven years be translated to human aproximations of a year? As I sat with my ridiculous thoughts, a sharp, decisive knock sounded on my portrait hole door. Who could that be? I nudged my feet into fuzzy unicorn slippers and tip-toed to my door.

The portrait (it was of a particular breed of Venus Flytrap) tried to nibble my fingers as I swung it forward. King Kaimyth himself was standing in the humid Greenhouse outside my door, looking more regal than a peregrine falcon.

Oh, of all the nights to wear my pajamas with tiny Yodas.

I leaned against my doorframe and tried to look natural. "Hiii!" Kaimyth dipped his head in greeting. "Professor Lillian." A slight blush crept upon his cheekbones as he realized I was dressed for bed. "Nice...er, slippers?" I awkwardly stammered, "Thank you. These were from Zonkos before it closed."

There was a pregnant pause. Kaimyth cleared his throat. "Lillian, would you like to take a walk with me?" I was so surprised that I started to blush. "Give me five minutes." I hastily closed the portrait hole and tossed my cloak over my Yoda pajamas. My feet safely tucked inside real shoes, I opened the portrait hole again.

Kai had been admiring a Purple Cuddleroot. The plant was mushroom shaped, and covered in purple spots that changed colors according to it's mood. Kai leaned down to tickle the plant with his index finger. It gurgled and cooed delightedly.

"I can show you the other Greenhouses if you wish." I offered, fidgeting with my hair. Kaimyth always made me nervous, not just because he was good looking, but because he was a literal King. He stood and his cutain of shiny hair cascaded over his shoulder, silvery and gorgeous. "I would like that very much. The Greenhouses here at Hogwarts remind me of the New Zealand plant-life."

I smirked slightly. "Wait until you see the Whistleing Whiners. We grow them here and station theme on the borders of Hogwarts. Their whistle can be heard up to 8 miles away." Kai tilted his head and returned my smirk. "I can see this is going to be an entertaining walk." My streak of boldness faded as he offered me his hand.

"Will you show me, Lillian?" I liked how Kai said my name. It was warm and gentle as Spring rain. It wasn't in the icy tone Severus used. I smiled shyly and accepted his hand. We roamed all throughout the seven Greenhouses, while I pointed out the plants I knew. "That vine is called a Sunflare Vine."

Kai observed the twinkling, sun-like flowers glowing above his head. I observed Kai. His clear blue eyes studied the blossoms with wonder and fascination. I briefly wondered (for the thousandth time) how soft his hair was. Kai caught me looking at him. A sly smile graced his thin lips. "Admiring the beauty tonight, Lillian? I certainly am."

He reached up and plucked a sun-flare flower, whispering a soft command. The bloom burned brighter before bursting into a shower of golden dust. Kai looked up again as the vines popped like miniature fireworks. Red, pink and gold dust settled on our hair and shoulders. I grinned in wonder, cupping my hands to catch the dust. "How did you know they could do that?"

Kai shrugged. "The name of the vine told it all." He peered at me with his clear pools for eyes." Lillian, I have something very important to ask you." My heart skipped a beat. "Kai, what is it?" Kai fished something out of his pocket and met my gaze again.

"What I am about to give you will only endanger you further. I thought it was best to destroy them, but I decided against it." He held up a folded piece of parchment. "This is your family tree and birth certificate. Both prove you are Gellert Grindelwald's granddaughter. As they belong to you, I thought it best to return them."

My lips moved soundlessly for a moment as I instinctively grabbed the parchment. The ink was faded and smudged in spots, but this document proved, without a doubt, my true pedigree. This was not good. "Who else knows?" The sound slipped from my lips in a hoarse murmer.

"Besides the werewolf, I, Albus Dumbledore, and Severus Snape know."

Snape. The mere mention of his name sent a shiver of guilt through me. Kai was the complete opposite of Severus. He was kind and gentle and very patient. I felt relaxed around him, and talking to Kai came easily. It felt natural. I wondered... Did Kai like me?

In a flash of stupid, childish recklessness, I did something I should not have done. I dared to kiss King Kaimyth of the Wood Elves.

My fingers slid into his lucious curtain of hair as our lips crashed. Kai was stunned at first, but returned my kiss tenderly. When I broke away he pulled me close and just held me. I buried my face in hid chest as a tear slid down my cheek. Severus Snape lingered in my mind as Kai softly caressed my back.

I didn't see the pale, familiar face with midnight hair and a cold sneer pressed against the Greenhouse window.

Until it was too late. Severus melted into the Winter evening as soon as I blinked. What had I done?

Hello all you wonderful readers! Thank you for reading and please don't forget to ⭐ vote ⭐