Chapter 20: Graduation

May 2019

It's Graduation Day for the seniors of Liberty High. Hannah & Clay have been dating since Bryce Walker was put away. Justin Foley was released from custody as he was taken in the care of the Jensen family. The Jensen have then adopted Justin into their family. Hannah thought it was funny that the Jensens adopted Justin because that would make Clay & Justin brothers, the others thought that was funny as well. Jessica became an activist after Bryce's trial. She ran for Student Body President of Liberty High and was elected. Courtney & Ryan graduate from Liberty in 2018 and went off to college. Courtney had decided to come out no longer fearing what everyone would think of her. Zach had been dating Chlöe Rice who became captain of the cheerleader squad after Sheri was sentenced to juvie. After serving 5 months in juvie, Sheri returned to Liberty with everyone now knowing that she was responsible for Jeff Atkins' car accident. Clay & Hannah stuck with Sheri ever since, even forgiving her. Sheri had to repeat her senior year as she now graduates with Hannah, Clay, Jessica, Justin, Zach, & Tyler. Hannah had also forgiven Tyler Down and decided to give him a 2nd chance as he became friend with all of them. They even made a new friend along the way, Ani Achola. Recently, Alex Standall came out as a bisexual and began dating Liberty football staring quarterback, Charlie St. George. The both of them were elected prom King & Queen, or prom royalty as Jessica calls it. As for Justin Foley, getting adopted by the Jensens was the best thing that could ever happen to him as he & Clay have gotten closer. Jessica has since forgiven him and eventually took him back as they are now happier than ever. Both Hannah & Clay have been accepted by New York City University. It was Hannah's dream of living to New York. As Student Body President, Jessica make a speech for the graduating class of 2019.

Jessica Davis: Look, here's the thing. There should be more of us here.

There were some empty seat for the students who's lives were lost during the Cybermen invasion.

Jessica Davis: I have a history of causing trouble with my speeches. Principal Bolan actually had to approve my speech just so I wouldn't make trouble. But that was a month ago. And my life has changed since then. But don't worry, I'm not causing any trouble today. Because I just want you to hear me. Some of you circulated a petition this year, demanding I be removed from office. Saying that I was a one-issue president, and I had made my point, and I should just shut up. Well, no girls signed that petition.

Everyone laughed as the girls cheered on Jessica much to Hannah's delight.

Jessica Davis: So, news, boys, our point is far from made. And we're not shutting up.

The graduating class start applauding, whistling, & whooping after Jessica said that.

Jessica Davis: But you are right about one thing: I am a one-issue president. I'm a one-issue person. I spent the last couple of years angry. Hurt. Scared. But I'm not gonna do that anymore. I'm gonna focus on my one issue. Which is love.

That caused some laughter and some jeering when Jessica mentioned love.

Jessica Davis: Oh, what? Does talking about love make you embarrassed? Is it girly? What? Because it's the thing. It's the only thing. It's easy to hate. It's easy to fear. It's goddamn hard to love. But it's not optional. It's essential. It's life or death. I challenge you. Love each other. Do it. Do it better. Now and every day. I love you all. Oh, and fuck the patriarchy.

Hannah Baker: Yeah!

After Jessica's speech, Principal Bolan ended the ceremony as the students tip their hats into the air. After the graduation ceremony, everyone gathered in the school's gym as the families of the graduates celebrate with them. Courtney Crimsen & Ryan Shaver returned to see their friends graduate. After most of the families have left, they stuck around in gym for a little while to share a final moment at Liberty High.