Friendly battle

"Remind me again why I signed up for this?" A tall young woman with long slightly curly chestnut hair in a knee length strapless forest-green dress, grumbled as she struggled to haul a bale of hay across the barn floor. She looked up to see her friend in the hayloft. "Khila?" She asked, questioningly, furrowing her brow in confusion for a moment. "Khila- oh, right. You're deaf." Looking around, she found a pebble and threw it at her friend.

"Ow!" Khila Oliver gasped as the pebble hit her shoulder. She turned and glared down at Leila. "Really?"

"Would you rather I pulled your hair with my telekinesis?" Leila smirked, crossing her arms and indicating the bale of hay with her head. "Remind me why I signed up for hauling hay?"

"Because you wanted to help me get my chores done quicker?" Khila replied, also smirking a bit as she read Leila's lips. "You know what my mother said."

"But why do these bales have to be seven hundred pounds?!" Leila complained, her voice going a slightly higher pitch- not that her friend would notice.

"Who knows?" Khila shrugged, her smirk broadening a bit. "But, you know the rule! No powers!"

"Easy for you to say, you've been doing this your entire life!" Leila called, turning away from her friend. Sometimes communicating was difficult because of Khila's deafness, but the girls made it work. All they had to do was face each other nonstop while chatting and everything would be fine. Or they would sign to each other.

"Poor baby," Khila taunted, laughing. "Would you prefer the Royal treatment?"

Leila turned and glared at Khila, then used her telekinesis to pull on Khila's fine bluish-black hair. "Ow!"

Leila laughed, then finished pulling the bale into the corner. As she walked out next to a large hay pile, Khila jumped off the loft, knocking her down. "Oh, that's it!" Leila growled, punching her friend in the arm. She then got out of the pile, just as Khila started throwing some hay at her.

"Girls," Jenna, Khila's mother, called as she walked into the barn. "What have I told you about playing when you're supposed  to be working?" She was also signing so that Khila would catch what she had said.

"Not to," Both girls replied knowing they had just been caught.

"Right," Jenna replied, shaking her head. "No offense, Leila, but I don't want a barn fire."

"It's fine," Leila replied, knowing Jenna was referring to her elemental power, and how she sometimes took things a little far-- not that Khila would get hurt since she was opposite and a capable fighter. As Jenna turned to leave, Leila turned to Khila and started to sign. 'How did she know?'

'She's telepathic, remember?' Khila signed back exasperatedly. 'It's so annoying!'

'Just be happy you don't have a sibling who is telepathic', Leila signed back. 'It's worse'.

"I know you two are signing about me," Jenna called sternly. "Knock it off."

Khila scowled, and Leila guessed Jenna spoke to her telepathically what she was telling Leila verbally. She knew the exact feeling.

After finishing up in the barn, the girls walked into the small house. Jenna came out with a several glass bottles of milk and put them on the cart. "I thought we weren't going to market until tomorrow?" Khila asked, confused at the sight she was seeing.