Enemies from the Past

After about an hour, Leila had started to create lazy circles and barrel rolls. "Hey, show off," Khila called from behind. "Thought you were in a rush?"

"I got tired of flying a straight line," Leila replied, turning so that her friend could read her lips. "I needed a bit of a break."

Khila shook her head and laughed. Leila continued her aerobatics, until a tingling sensation in the back of her mind. "Hey," she said turning back to her friend, flying backwards. "Do you sense something?"

"Very minor, why?" Khila asked.

"I just got the feeling something awful is about to happen..." Leila answered, her voice trailing off.

"Isn't that common with you these days?" Khila asked laughing in a teasing manner.

"Not funny," Leila replied, turning back around. Christina, she called out through her bond.

I sense it too, Christina replied. Sera and I will scout ahead.

Make sure to look down as well as ahead, Leila warned, the sense of danger growing stronger every second. Rustling leaves caught her attention, and she was barely able to dodge an arrow. "Seriously?" She grumbled, diving down behind the trees where the arrow had come from. After landing, she grabbed an arrow from her quiver and loaded her bow.

"Alright, Wench," a somewhat raspy female voice called out. "I know you're in the trees somewhere."

Leila gasped inwardly as she recognized the voice. "You've got to be joking," she said inaudibly. Peering through some bushes, she saw the owner of that arrow. Seeing a low branch right across, she shot the arrow at the branch, and it ricocheted, hitting the woman's shoulder. The woman whirled around to where she thought the arrow came from, her back toward Leila. "It's been what?" Leila called, stepping out of the bushes, her bow loaded. "Two hundred and sixty years?" The woman started to turn, but Leila stopped her. "Unless you want another arrow, drop yours first."

The grey-skinned Dragon Witch smirked, dropping the bow and arrow. "Well, well, the Wench finally learned how to defend herself."

"Get off your high dragon," Leila growled. "I was a hundred and forty when you took me- practically still a child."

"Yes, and your mother had to come and rescue you," she snickered. "I remember you started crying when you realized we weren't taking you to back to her."

Leila was not amused, and pulled back a little tighter on the bow. "Speaking of which, Trixell, what are you even doing here? I thought she drove all of the Tenebrosi out of Gondra."

"She did," Trixell confirmed contemptuously. "But, that doesn't mean she can keep us out forever. Especially with the rumors that the Queen Dragon died a few years ago."

"So what if she did?" Leila asked irritably. "That still doesn't explain why you're here- unless it's because Abraxas still wants me as his Queen; he's going to find it much more difficult than last time to catch me."

"We'll see," Trixell smirked, i at something behind the younger Dragon Witch.

Leila was about to turn around when there was a gasp of pain. Khila stepped out from behind another set of bushes; Pipsqueak flew up just behind her. Trixell's identical twin, Ella, was on the ground knocked out in front of the two. Trixell rushed to her sister's side as Leila crossed her arms and looked at her friends. "I was wondering when you'd show up."

"Pipsqueak kept disappearing," Khila replied. "I think he was trying to call out so I could follow him. I'm deaf, not blind-" Khila was cut off as Trixell psionically attacked. "Ow!"