why can't you take the hint

pair: jungkook x jisoo
friends to lovers, a tiny bit of angst with a happy ending
warning: none

relying more on tumblr prompts for my write-ups >< also, this one-shot will all be in jungkook's pov! but anyways, would like to give full credit to @/soulprompt on tumblr for this;

"i just want you to be happy. if that's with me or with someone else or with nobody... i just want you to be happy."

* * *

I could recall the first time I met her.

It was a summer morning. I could remember the gentle wind caressing the branches of the trees at the park, swaying gently as its older leaves left its wooden stronghold and flutter down to the grass. Golden rays of sunshine shone through the clouds, making it a perfect day for kids to be out and play. I was ten years old at that time, sitting on one of the many benches at the park. My nose was buried deep in the '500 Insect Facts That Will Blow Your Mind' book that I borrowed from my big brother.

My friends and I were planning on catching a few butterflies and dragonflies that day, so I wanted to impress them. Yet as I walked down that cemented path road, I bumped into her. Well, I did not exactly bump into her, I simply stopped in my tracks and stared. Creepy, I know, but I simply couldn't bear to see a girl swinging all alone as she longingly stared at the groups of children running around.

So, with the courage I had back then, I walked up to her and sat on the swing adjacent to hers. She noticed my presence straight away and looked at me. I stiffened, not knowing why I suddenly went near her or what to even say to her. Yet, my mouth just started moving on its own; "Did you know that all insects go through the same life cycle?"

Her face morphed into a confused look. My ears were burning red from embarrassment, but I continued with giving more insect facts. She simply could've gotten up and left, letting me wallow in a pool of embarrassment and scarred from human interaction for the rest of my life, she just sat there and listened to me. She even asked questions occasionally and happily answered with enthusiasm. By the time I ran out of words to say, it was already noon time, way past the time I was supposed to meet up with my friends. Yet I enjoyed my time spewing facts about insects with this random girl and not once did I regret it.

I remember her soft giggles as I closed the book. She then stood up from the swing, a grin plastered across her face, "Thanks for keeping me company," she uttered out meekly, "I'm Kim Jisoo, what's your name?"

"I'm Jeon Jungkook." I remember replying.

"Well Jungkook, it was nice meeting you," She then gives her mother a quick glance, who had been watching from a distance for the last few minutes, "I need to go now, but do you promise that I will see you here tomorrow?" She extends out her hand, waiting for me to shake on it.

With no hesitation, I went in and shook her hand. "I promise Jisoo, I'll even bring snacks for us!"

Then the rest was history. A friendship that lasted for more than a decade. Still couldn't believe that a borrowed book from my big brother became the catalyst for meeting a wonderful woman in my life. She was a friend to me back then; someone who I could heavily rely on when I could no longer bear the burdens in life. But as time continued to pass by, I began seeing her in a different light. It started when we were in high school.

It was 10:30 PM, we both just got out of school and are both currently walking home. She was munching on the soft-serve ice cream I bought her in the convenience store that was close to the school since I lost in rock-paper-scissors but I didn't mind, I would have paid her food regardless. As we were about to walk around the corner of the sidewalk, she suddenly stopped walking. I noticed when I was only a few steps ahead, "Did you forget something?" I asked, yet there was no response from her.