10) The Start

Bidding her a small bye, Eric steps away from her side to greet the older guardians who were waiting for him by the great willow tree, grown in the center of the forest. The place where the great Forest Goddess lay in a cocoon, as a blue light surrounds it, indicating that the forest's magical barrier is still activated.

Eric bowed as he set his knees on the magical ground. The wind blows the soft branches of the weeping blue blossom tree.

The midnight sky scatters the lives of all living, above them. Eric stands up after greeting the Goddess tomb in silence. Then he turns to his Guardian friends who look down at him from the willow.

The falcon landed on his feet and speaks, "You brought her here?"

Eric looks away, his tail was no longer wagging as it stayed low behind him. His ear shifts as he hears the fluttering of wings heading down one at a time.

Chanhee steps forward and grabs the young Wolf by his shoulders, "Oh don't mind Juyeon's tantrum. He's just being an overprotective mother bird. Anyway, how long are you and y/N planning to stay?"

Eric's eyes widen and he smiles at the Crane, who gives the other a side-eye, "In my defense, I am just---"

Chanhee, "Ah-ah, Y/N is our guest. It's been a while since a human's last step foot in here. Why don't we give her a fun adventure? As bad as the past may sound, it is in the past. We are the guardians of the forest and here we are taught to forgive and forget. The goddess would not be happy if we continue to hate humans for the rest of our lives, will she?"

Juyeon looks away, Sangyeon steps down, "Chanhee's right. This could be a new beginning for us too. Let the past be in the past and hopefully good things we come back to us. After all, I'm sure the humans have learned their lessons by now."

Chanhee nodded and Eric's smile widens, "Thanks Hyung."

The other's looks away sheepishly, ignoring his adoring puppy eyes. A look they haven't seen in his eyes for a while. Sunwoo chuckles in disgust but clearly, it was obvious in his tone that he was pleased, "We're going to live for a long time, Eric. Holding a grudge for so long isn't going to get us anywhere as long as we continue to live."

At the mention of immortality, Eric's ear folds forward in a sad gesture and Changmin's smile drops. Juyeon quickly shoos Sunwoo away. Sunwoo furrows his brows.

"Oh no, don't cry," Kevin beams but the mood wasn't helping the Wolf get any better.

Jacob pats his back in comfort, "Eric what's wrong?"

Right...that's what was missing. He had been spending too much time chasing a human girl for so long that's he had forgotten about his responsibility.

Immortality, Eric needs to achieve it if he wants to continue to protect the Forest with the Guardians. It's his duty to stay here to protect his folks but what about Y/N?

A hand pats the male with blue hair tips, Hyunjae smiles, "It's okay if you've forgotten. There's still time."

Eric stares back at the rest of the boys in front of him, together underneath the willow tree, in front of the goddess. As he thinks of something to say he hears a female voice calling to him. The rest of them turn their attention to the female who is running over to their group, to find the wolf boy.

Eric's ear perks, he quickly rushes over to her side. A bright smile plastered onto his face again, like he was a completely different person from the conversation he had with his Guardians not too long ago.

Changmin, with Queen on his shoulder, "Eric seems like a whole completely different person, doesn't he?"

Juyeon nodded, "He looks completely happy to me, don't you agree?"