Chapter 6

The next day, Louis wakes up well before his alarm goes off. He couldn't get much sleep last night and he's also developed a cold. He checks his alarm and realises he's up an hour early.

Louis utilises this time and gets ready for school. As he's in the shower, he catches a reflection of himself in the glass and almost screams when he realises the ugly bruise that has formed on his neck. It's bluish purple, almost black.

"Fuck, I can't let anybody see this at school." Louis says to himself panicking, his throat is so sore. He doesn't know how to hide a bruise that big but he certainly doesn't want to end up dead so he's got to think of something fast.

He gets out of the shower, dries himself off and applies some antiseptic cream on the bruise, hoping it would help it. The cream does little help though. It does soothe the pain however. He notices the cut on his hand has faded just a little bit but it's enough for nobody to notice it right away. Maybe that's why Harry or Liam didn't notice the wound in Church yesterday.

Louis' thoughts get interrupted when his alarm goes off. He throws on a warm hoodie and some black skinnies and goes to turn it off. That's when his gaze travels upon a scarf which has been tossed on the beanbag.

Louis wraps the scarf around his neck, as tight as he can, trying not to choke himself in the process. He checks himself in the mirror again and is relieved when the bruise is covered and he doesn't look that bad with it on.

"Louis William!" He hears his father call him. Louis tries to reply but his throat won't let him. He hears the sound of footsteps climbing up the flight of stairs and towards his room.

"Oh so you're awake." John looks at him like he's some uninteresting object. "Why didn't you answer me?" He asks, his arms folded in front of his chest.

"It's my throat. It's really sore and it hurts to speak." Louis coughs out.

"Then take a medicine for it. You're such a big baby." John rolls his eyes at Louis. "Anyways, I have a work trip come up and I would hate for you to not be on your best behavior while I'm gone." He tells him, gently caressing his cheek.

"Wh- when are you gonna get back?" Louis asks with all the strength he has, not meeting John's eyes.  

"Three days." John tells Louis, pulling the scarf down his neck to reveal a big ugly looking bruise. Louis hears John gasp loudly but doesn't make eye contact with him. He knows better than to do that.

"Did I do that to you?" John asks and for once Louis can hear a little amount of actual guilt in his father's voice. He doesn't say anything and looks down at his hands, too scared to even nod.

"You should keep it covered and I want you to keep your fucking mouth shut about it. Understand?" John says fixing the scarf back in its place, a little more tightly than before. Louis tries his best not to choke.

He gulps and nods his head yes.

"I didn't hear it sweetheart." John ducks his head down, keeping his ear near Louis' mouth.

"I understand." Louis sniffles, his voice scratchy and hoarse.

"Good boy." John kisses Louis' forehead. "I'll see you in three days then. Off you go now." 

Louis takes his backpack from the side of his bed, walking out of his room and with his father still in his room, grabs an apple from the bowl kept on the kitchen counter and takes off.

If he's being completely honest, Louis would rather sleep in today. His body is aching, his neck hurts whenever even something as light as a feather grazes it, he's developed a cold and a sore throat and gets random fits of cough, which he believes in his opinion are the worst thing to happen to someone. What if you're sitting in a quiet room full of people and start coughing out of nowhere? It's a miracle he's even able to stand let alone walk to school with all the stuff he has going on.