5

Ayato sighed in frustration. It has already been a month since him and the Iyashi clan's Himegimi wedded. They got along quite well, she was a really good wife. She tended to all his needs, managed the Kamisato estate supported him with all their works for the Yashiro Commission, and even attended to the Commission's public affairs in his stead since he had always avoided the public.

By the way he treated him, she could also feel that she cared  about him. Yet, after all those times of living together on the same roof, and sleeping on the same chamber, she still felt so distant.

There was not a trace of love.

Infact, they never shared their leisure together. She would always spend her leisure either by reading to the children outside the estate, or hanging out with their oni friend and a couple of people whom he did not personally know.

She would never kiss or embrace him first, though she would allow him to kiss and embrace her if it was him who initiated it. But it had always been out of obligation, which Ayato wished could one day be changed.

She was a good wife. But she was also like a marionette. Doing only what she's tasked to do.

He wished that could change too.

One day, he had decided that he would no longer wait for a miracle to happen. He would go out there and pursue her by supporting the things she does.

Enthusiastically, he managed to finish all his job early, and he was able go out and find his wife. He found her on the outskirts surrounded by children.

Ayato couldn't help but take a deep gasp at the sight of his wife. She did not wear anything special in particular. She only wore her usual robe. But the sight of her genuinely smiling at the children who were so absorbed in her story made her a thousand times more beautiful.

He loved the sight of her genuine smile. But at the same time, it also pained him that she has never been that happy when it was only the two of them.

"Years passed, and the warrior still honored his contract. Courageously protecting the poeple from demons and miasmas." She spoke to them, a hint of pink hues surrounding her cheeks.

"Was the warrior a Samurai?" One of the children asked, holding a stick up im the air as if it was a sword.

His wife only smiled, gently brushing the side of the child's hair. Before Ayato could even realize, he was already grinning proudly, in adoration of his lovely wife.

"Something of that sort. But instead of a sword, this brave warrior expertly wielded a weapon much taller than him, yet held it in perfect balance and  controlled it in such precision."

"Cool!" The children altogether yelled.

"Indeed, he is. And although he was shorter than the rest of his kind, he was really strong." She told them, a blush spreading through her cheeks.

Although he never really knew anything about her previous lover, the moment he saw the longing look in her eyes, he immediately realized that it was that man's story that she so enthusiastically speaks of. And his smile faded.

It made him realize, that even though he has already took claim of her loyalty and commitment,  he may never be able to rival the kind of bond she shared with whom she truly longs for.

But Kamisato Ayato is not the type of man who would immediately give up when faced with the odds.  Specially with those that he truly desire.

"Mind if I sit with you guys?" He said as he gracefully walked towards them.

The children watched him in awe. They have never seen him around, but it was clear to his attire that he was someone important. "Who's this nice uncle, Lady Akina? Is he the hero in the story?" One of the children asked.

"I'm afraid I'm not the hero she speaks of. I am just but a lucky man, who was granted the greatest opportunity of becoming Lady Akina's husband." Ayato replied, giving his wife a meaningful glance.

"Woaaah! Lady Akina has such a handsome husband! Are you strong like the hero in the story?"

"What about you decide? I can show you some moves with my sword." He told them. With that, he easily got the heart of the children. He was graceful, polite and proper, above all else, he spoke really kind, and in the way that is alluring to them.

"Woah! You really seem hero like!"

Although Akina felt as if he followed her just to keep track of everything she does, the suffocating feeling of being surveillanced like a fugitive was turned into relief as she saw how happy he made the children. Although she did confront him about his sudden appearance when both of them got home.