24

Trails of memories

"What are these?" The young lady asked the adeptus with a bright smile on her face.

"Glaze lily. For you." The adeptus stiffly replied, looking away in attempts to hide the red hues brimming on his cheeks.

"That's so sweet!"

At the sight of the lady's eyes sparkling, the adeptus couldn't help but to blush even harder.

"Starting today...I'm trying to bring you a flower everyday..."

The lady's cheeks reddened, matching the adeptus's entire face. "Wouldn't that be tiring?"

"Not to me, not for you." He declared, and a warm feeling overwhelmed the lady's heart heart.

Shyly and gently, she pulled him into a tight embrace. He was unfamiliar with the gesture, but that did not mean he did not like it. He disliked getting in contact with mortals, or anyone in general. But everything felt natural with her, including her warm embrace.

He embraced back, tighter and tighter until he could feel all her warmth. His embrace was tight, but not in the way that was suffocating. Yes it was tight, but in a way that was affectionate and assuring. Unlike the huge cage she would call her hometown.

"Now shall we partake lunch? I had Smiley Yanxiao teach me how to prepare your favourite Almond tofu."

"I'll help prepare the dishes." Xiao offered with a smile on his face.

Not too long ago, the two have decided to buy a small place in Qingce village. The adeptus, through his ability had managed to collect enough cor lapiz to afford a humble house for the two of them. Everyday, they lived peacefully with the villagers.

They would tend to the crops in the morning, and then sit on the glaze lily field in the afternoon. At times, Xiao would be forced to play with the children, and then she would make a wreath for them.

It was the kind of life she had dreamed of. Simple, peaceful, and free.

"I've a surprise for you." Xiao declared as they sat in the glaze lily fields.

"A surprise? Again? You really do like to spoil me." She chuckled.

"I've noticed how much you liked hair ornaments, so I caught some crystalflies and had the adepti make hair ornaments out of the crystal core." He explained, showing her the hair ornaments on his hands.

Her eyes widened, for they were the most beautiful hair ornament she's ever seen. "Xiao...." Happy tears began to form from the corner of her eyes. "I'll treasure them forever 'til the day I die."

"Forever?" He asked.

"Forever." She affirmed.

"I envy the ornaments then." He mumbled. She chuckled.

"My feelings about the ornament are the extension of my affections for the one who gave them." She assured, trailing her fingers on his cheeks. "I want to convey these affections clearly... would you allow me?" She whispered. With his eyes closed, he nodded.

Gently, she pressed her forehead on his, and as if he knew how to respond, he wrapped his arms on her waist. Slowly, their noses touched. And they leaned in closer until their lips met.

It was Akina's first kiss, and so was his. And it was the most sincere act of love they have felt in their exhausting life.

The moments they shared in their abode in Qingce was the most peaceful memories the two had. So peaceful they complacently thought everything would have remained as it is.

But in the existence of the Fatui, and all the other evil entities in Teyvat, every happy story could be altered.