16

"Uhhh...are you two sure you got back together?" The Oni skeptically asked, staring at the couple with an eyebrow raised.

Ayato and Akina shared a meaningful look and gave each other a gentle smile before giving their oni friend a nod.

"I believe so.." Ayato spoke, holding his hand atop his wife's.

"BORIIIING!!" Itto grumbled. "I meaan, you two just confessed your love and you haven't even kissed? Or snuggled or something like thaaat. Like, come on!" He whined, squirming his huge body like a live salted worm.

The couple chuckled. "There are a lot of things that weighs more than physical intimacy."

A smile of adoration formed on Akina's lips. She admired and was pleased to hear that Ayato held the same principles she did when it came to love. Her wounds are still around, and probably wouldn't be able to completely heal soon, but her heart begins to actually feel genuinely happy by her husband's side.

"I am happy for you, Master."

Ayato took a glance at his wife's student. And he recognized him. "Kaedara Kazuha, right?"

The young samurai nodded.

"I deeply apologize for what happened to your friend."

Kazuha shook his head. "There's absolutely no need to do so. He had always been the kind to brave anything even at the cost of his life. I know in the back of his mind, he was satisfied."

"Thankyou. Still, should you need anything, you'll have the support of the Kamisato clan behind your back." Ayato offered, bowing at the young samurai in respect to his late friend.

"I am greatly honored. I have no need for support. All I want is the assurance that you'd treat my master right."

"I may have failed at that before, but I assure you, I'll make her happy." He humbly replied.

"Then I'm very much assured."

--

Evening approached quickly. The night breeze was a lot colder in Watatsumi, yet miraculously, it couldn't get any warmer as Akina walked with her husband by her side.

"Your smile haven't ceased since the morning, My Lord.."

"I feel rather elated.." Ayato replied, halting and facing his wife and taking her hand. "You mean so much to me...and I..... was so scared that you'll drift away again to a place where I'd never reach you."

Akina drowned in her husband's deep purple eyes. She did not know when it started. Perhaps it came little by little throughout the entire month that they've been husband and wife. But getting a clear glance of his sincere eyes without ever gazing away cleared off all her doubts. It's now clear that she loved him.

"The wounds that are in me, they won't heal any time sooner. I know I am still in pain. But I could live through it. As long as it's you, I think I'd be okay."

Ayato did not waste a moment to pull his wife closer to her, embracing her tightly in the middle of the garden of Chrysanthemums.

Akina melted in his embrace. Finally, there was a place warm enough to comfort her from her afflictions. "It's warm.." she whispered with tears in her eyes as she leaned her cheeks on his chest.

"I'll be with you through everything, I promise Akina. And I'll hold your family accountable for every pain they have caused you. As long as I live, the only cage that will ever surround you is my embrace. " Ayato pledge. "I love you..." He whispered again and again through out the night. Even as they laid bare in each other's arms. His whispers of love did not cease to exist, securing that it was the last thing she heard before she fell asleep.