Uncontrolled Power

Uncontrolled Power

The world descended into absolute chaos.

As the Vasconian gates were blown open, causing stone and metal and wood to fall like an avalanche into the valley below, the crowd was whipped into too big of a frenzy to care about the threat of the Gasconite soldiers. A wave of people rushed them, throwing each other onto the blades and trampling their fallen bodies to reach their enemies.

The Gascony lines didn't stand up long to the throng of crazed people.

Amorette broke free from her chains, but she staggered, obviously weakened by her injuries. But when she swung her fist, wild and without looking, the strength of her fist striking one of the soldiers holding her chains was still enough to send him flying off the dais. Right into the crowd who immediately fell on him with murderous fury.

"Mom!" Manon screamed, trying to run towards the stage.

Jacques got in her way, holding her against his chest, his arms locked around her. The heartbreak on his face was tempered by his determination.

"You can do nothing-"

"Move!"

"It's too late-"

"MOM!"

"STOP!" He clutched her face to his chest as she openly wept. Her struggles had weakened, but by no means stopped. One of her hands clutched at his side, digging into his flesh with her claws, but he paid no mind to the pain.

Addie and Gosse had tried to form a protective barrier around them. Keeping them from the being crushed amongst the mob. Gael and Laudine, still struggling against the emotions of the crowd, were trying to stand.

"Please..." Manon's voice broke on a pined moan.

"You have to go," Jacques said, speaking directly in her ear as he held her. "She wouldn't want you to hurt yourself for no reason. It's too late. Go home, Manon. Remember our plan. You have to get yourself to safety and stop this."

He didn't say it, but they all knew what he meant.

The queen was dead.

The king would be enraged.

They were on the precipice of something far worse than anything that had come before. If his daughter remained missing, there would be nothing stopping King Cyrille from losing his mind. She had to go back. For all their sakes.

"We have her," Gosse promised solemnly, putting a hand on Manon's shoulder, bowing his head to the prince. "You need to get back as well. You cannot be hurt here. And we will need you back in your country to make this plan work."

Jacques' looked torn. His grip around Manon only tightened. He might have only agreed to be her husband out of a sense of duty, but he was still protective over her. Letting her go now, in what was no doubt the worst moment of her life, hurt more than he imagined.

But after a moment, he forced his arms away. Addie took hold of the princess. She was no longer fighting, but she was sobbing, barely standing, relying on Addie's strength.

"We can do this," the paladin assured him as Gael helped Laudine up. "Just go. Get out of here. You'll be in danger if anyone finds out who you are too."

Jacques hesitated only a moment.

But the Vasconian gates had fallen, and Vasconian soldiers were pouring inside. In the wake of their queen's death, his innocence wouldn't matter. Just being a member of the Gasconite royal family would be enough to condemn him.

He gave Manon one last look, but she couldn't meet his eyes. He had to trust.

Nodding to the others, he turned and began to run with the crowd. He would have to slip in with the soldiers and find a way out. He would be on his own, but he wasn't concerned about himself. Mostly, he was worried about Manon as he left her behind.