A Paladin at Rest

A Paladin at Rest

Excitement with just a hint of panic fueled Laudine's legs as she ran through the Vasconian royal palace. She had been sent on an important mission and was in a rush to get back. Her pale lavender skirts whirled around her legs with each rushed step as she took the stairs up a single level then continued, a large smile stretched across her face.

Despite her sense of urgency, she was in a great mood. Partially because it was such a good day, but also mostly because the entire city was celebrating and their joy was filling her up to overflowing with good feelings. It was a momentous day. One that seemed like it might never arrive.

But it was here and her mission, small as it was, had been successful.

She rushed past the royal guard standing beside a pair of closed double doors and ran inside without bothering to knock. She beamed as they shut behind her, holding up her prize for the room of excited women to see.

"I got it!" She declared.

"Thank goodness," Nina breathed, slumping a bit in her chair from the relief.

"Stop moving," Sybille said when the small motion nearly disrupted the lady's maid that was trying to put the finishing touches on Nina's hair.

Laudine smiled, crossing the room, cradling the jeweled pin she had been sent to fetch. Nina had realized she forgot it in her private room on the other side of the palace and the loss had nearly ruined the entire day. It was a pin that she bought before she had her dress designed, and the dress had been designed around the pin. And it was a rather high emotion day, so such a small loss had seemed like the end of all existence and Nina had nearly sprinted out of here to get it herself.

Only Sybille and Elaine working together – being reasonable and unyielding respectively – kept her from doing just that.

It was funny how, on her wedding day, the smallest thing seemed like a tragedy.

After passing the pin to one of the other lady's maids – Nina had a whole collection now that she was going to marry the king and, at the end of today, would be queen – Laudine returned to the chair she had been relaxing on before being sent on her quest.

The other paladins were relaxing in various positions around the room, supporting Nina as her sisters while she was prepared for her wedding. They talked, sipped tea, and ate dainty cakes while they made themselves available for any task Nina might need.

Peace had been ongoing for a few short months, but already, the paladins were eager to settle into the new times.

Every so often, servants came in and out. Some brought more tea and sweets, others cleared away the mess, still others brought messages and updates.

"Your highness, your robe is ready," one of the servants said after Nina's hair was finished being brushed and smoothed without out the aid of creams or potions.

For the wedding portion of the day, Nina would need to come to Erec without any lies, falsities, or illusions. Both of them would be married wearing plain robes, their hair unbound, their feet bare. But for the coronation that would follow, Nina needed to present herself to her king and people as someone regal, powerful, and in control. So, after the marriage vows, she would immediately be taken to be dressed, her hair properly set, and made as beautiful as possible. Unlike her husband, she had to meet her people at her best at all times, including the day she was crowned for them.

Only after the coronation could the royal couple retire to their rooms to enjoy their wedding night.

It was set to be a long day, but Laudine was having a great time just basking in the happiness of everyone – including Nina who, despite being made anxious at having forgotten her pin for her coronation dress, was still eager for what was to come.