Sanctuary

"Sanctuary." The man gasped cradling the crying child close running up the library stairs. Blood flowing from the wound on his shoulder. 

"Nice try," the guard following after sneered, "but only holy places can grant sanctuary."

The librarians glanced at each other, then at the eldest, red hair nearly all the way faded to gray, black skin worn,  gave a small nod. 

The head librarian, a younger lady with the dorky round glasses nodded seriously. "Sanctuary granted." She said, glaring at the guard. A ripple of light rippled outwards, stopping the guard where he stood. 

AN- Here there be Magic. The Gods interact with Humans, and this library, is sort of a temple dedicated to learning and creativity. The librarians, or Acolytes are mentored under the Goddess Tikki, who takes the appearance of an old Lady with red hair streaked with the graying of old age, wrinkles lining her black skin(yes that's and awkward descriptor, think African). Marinette is the head librarian, mentored directly under Tikki. 

Damian is fleeing the ruins of his family home, he is the heir, just having managed to save the baby Princess Helena, daughter of King Bruce Wayne and his wife Queen Selina. Damian would have stayed fighting, but family is more important than the kingdom and without knowing who to trust, sending a family member away was the only way to save Helena. The coup was Ra's but they were betrayed by someone close. Damian's mother was Talia, but it was a political marriage and she died giving birth. Dick, Jason, Tim, Cass, and Duke were wards of the crown. Only Tim stood to inherit, and only because the Drakes were nobility.   

Once the Ra's guard was gone, Marinette turned awkwardly to the guest. "You have been given the sanctuary of Tikki, Plagg's blessed one."

AN-Damian got blessed by Plagg because he is the grandson of Ra's, son of Talia, who worshipped Plagg, and also because as he was born, his mother died, unlucky enough to manifest it. 

"Thank you for your sanctuary, Acolytes of Tikki." Damian got out, just before he fell the the floor in a faint. Then Helena started wailing. 

Marinette looked at Tikki. She bit her lip. "The healing would work best if we could summon Plagg, to destroy the infection, would he come?" 

"We can ask that old stinky sock."

"But due to the laws of sanctuary he would have to come in." Marinette paused awkwardly. "Isn't he, y'know, banned from all of your Holy places."

"Yes and he darn well deserves to be." Tikki huffed. "All of those books gone, all of that knowledge lost." She pitched her voice low. "Damn him for destroying my last temple, the library of Alexandria."

"I said I was sorry Sugarcube." A voice floated in from outside. He looked like a 20 something year old, with dark skin, dreadlocked hair, and unnaturally bright green eyes. He had on black skinny jeans and a black leather jacket. 

Tikki approached him, de aging until the two were the same age. "I'm watching you." she said glaring at him. 

"I Tikki, Goddess of Luck and Creation, do hereby revoke the ban on the god Plagg, of Bad Luck and Destruction, on my Holy temple."

"I Plagg, God of Bad Luck and Destruction, do so accept my freedom to enter Tikki's Holy Place, once banned from me."

Plagg strolled by Tikki whistling. "Well...well...well... sugarcube, I like what you've down with the place."

Tikki rolled her eyes, grabbed his wrist and dragged him to Damian. "Your chosen has fainted."

"I like this one. He's a stubborn loyal one." Plagg place both hands on his shoulder as Tikki placed her hands on his head. Magic seeped into his body, Tikki's granting him luck and revitalizing cell growth to heal, and Plagg's, destroying the infection, poison, and taint of Ra's. 

Marinette stood watching the operation, bouncing Helena gently. 

AN-It was rare for the two to interact directly, apparently because of Tikki's grudge on Plagg, but also because most gods acted through their chosen's blessing. As Damian was unable to act on himself, another person had to be found. Adrien, Marinette's old boyfriend, before they mutually broke up, was a servant of Plagg, but they had separated. Marinette went to the temple, and Adrien stayed home to clean up his fathers' mess and rule as King Agreste. The Holy spots were disguised because of the rise of Christianity and destruction of temples. Areas where the auras were strong were naturally the next location for the temples(A library for Tikki, a training ground for Plagg etc...). 

The two gods had left the immediate area post-healing to find food and reset. So Marinette stood vigil over the young man, holding the child he had worked so hard to protect. 

The next day, Damian opened his eyes to find the head librarian sleeping softly next to his cot, with Helena laying down beside her. His shoulder was bandaged, and he could sit up, something he hadn't expected. After he got injured, with a likely poison dagger lunging in front of his sister, his only goal was to get far away. He wasn't careful enough, and they found him as he slept in a tree. 

From there he was pursued and unable to sleep. He barely remembered stumbling into the library and claiming sanctuary, hoping the legend passed down in the the royal family, that the rumor of it being a disguised temple was true.  

It was. He sent up a quick prayer of thanks to Plagg and Tikki, as he could sense their magic. He stood up, waking the librarian, and asked to hold his sister.  

Marinette handed the tired, but alert man his sister apparently, and watched his features shift to safe. They had made it, from whatever they were running from. 

AN- The gods were worshipped like Greek Gods. Food sacrifices, and prayers. They could bless people as their chosen, and one person per generation would be directly mentored by the gods. To get a blessing, you had to chose said god as your patron, then have an event that directly correlates. Example: Marinette dedicated herself to creation and Tikki. She then had a stroke of good luck, avoiding Hawkmoths initial reign. She was granted Tikki's blessing, and used it to protect her home from Hawkmoth, a former blessed by Noroo. Once you're blessed, you can't be unblessed, only weakened. Through the blessing of Tikki, she and Adrien, blessed of Plagg fought him and succeeded. Marinette was called, her fate was to go to the temple and learn more from the goddess herself. (High priestess)