𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏.

————————🏷️

"𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐒 𝐍𝐎 𝐏𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐓 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 to resist, y/n. the arrangements have already been sorted." my father towered over me with a dark look in his eyes. there was no use, my future had already been decided.

i felt a warm liquid drip down my face. it dripped faster and faster, heavier and heavier, before i clasped a hand to my mouth to stop my cries. i heard a scoff and looked up.

"don't cry. you're being pathetic. it's not a big deal so just suck it up already, i don't have time for this." father said, glaring at me. i felt a sudden urge of courage overtake me, which never happened when my father was involved. i would normally just do what he said, trapped behind the fear of what he could do if i disobeyed him.

"how can i not cry when you just forced me into an arranged marriage with someone i don't even know!" i yelled at the top of my lungs. he slightly jumped, clearly surprised at my sudden outburst. i ignored him and glanced around to my mother who has a pained look in her eyes. as soon as she saw me looking her way she directed her gaze to the floor, fiddling with her hands.

my attention was drawn back to the man in front of me, who was now burning with rage. my eyes widen as he raised his hand, ready to slap it hard across my face; bound to leave a mark. before he could my mother suddenly spoke up. "d-darling! i think she just needs a bit of time to herself! please don't hurt her..it won't provide any benefit."

after a few seconds, my father reluctantly dropped his hand, still glaring at me. "sort out your attitude." he told me, before walking out the room.

i ran up to my mother and squeezed my arms tightly around her. i had always been much closer to her than my father, and she had always helped me sneak out when i had been grounded. i retracted myself from the hug to look into her eyes, but all i saw was pain and sadness, it had been that way ever since my father had started his million dollar business. she told me he had become obsessed with money and slowly over time has lost any morality he had.

"that's why he arranged a marriage for you." she whispered into my ear. "you shall be married to the son of a rich CEO, meaning your father will get a lot of money." my eyes widened at her words, was my father really choosing money over my own happiness? so much was happening in such little time, i needed to get out of there, quickly.

i gave my mother the look i always gave her when i needed to get out the house. well, i wouldn't call it a house since my father loved to show off his money to the world, it was more of a small mansion.

she nodded. i gave her a small smile and then ran up the staircase towards my room. as soon as i entered the room i locked my door, opened my window, and carefully climbed down the rose vine that was connecting my window to the ground.

the sun was beginning to set as it was around early evening, the golden light illuminating the rows of flowers beside me. i stood still for a second wondering where i should go, my final decision being the small library a few streets away from my house. i sped towards the small gate that closed the area off to the public and hoisted myself over. i darted away from the place i couldn't bring myself to call 'home' without giving it a second glance.

after only about 10 minutes of walking i reached the familiar building. The gorgeous exterior of the building glowed a golden colour in the setting sun. a small smile crept across my face as a wave of comfort washed over me. i entered the building, inhaling the scent of new books and sighed happily.

"hello there! welcome to wangshu library- oh y/n! it's so good to see you again. i apologise i didn't notice it was you at first." the brunette woman gave me a warm smile as i walked up to the desk she stood behind.

"hi verr!" i said, my voice laced with happiness. verr goldet had been the owner of wangshu library ever since i could remember. every time i visited she made sure to always give me a warm welcome. she also recommended me a new book to read every time i came. she became like family to me and i confided everything in her.

she took a closer look at my face before running from behind the desk to wrap her arms around me tightly. i stood there in shock for a second, before reciprocating the action, squeezing her waist.

"what happened, dear? you look like you've been crying." her voice was full of worry. i pulled away from the hug and stared down at the floor, avoiding eye contact. verr's hand brushed across my arm as she crouched down to look up at my eyes. "please tell me, i'm here to help you remember?"

i inhaled before explaining everything to her. i explained how my father had forced me into an arranged marriage. i explained how i tried to refuse and how it only ended in him attempting to raise a hand at me. i explained how he obviously had chosen wealth over the happiness of his own daughter.

"so that's why i came here, i needed to get out of that damn house." once i finished my story she pulled me into another hug, this one being way tighter than the last. i returned the gesture by pulling her in tightly, lightly crying into her chest. "why...tell me why my father is so horrible."

i heard her sigh before glancing down at me. "money can do horrible things to a person. greed can overtake someone's soul and strip them of their humanity."
she pulled away slightly, looking into my eyes and whispering, "you know what you need? a cosy corner with a book and a cup of tea." she winked at me, and i chuckled slightly. "how about you go sit down in your usual corner? i'll bring you some tea and a book i think you'll enjoy." i nodded and parted from her to sit down in the back corner of the library.

i cuddled down into the pillows, surrounded by hundreds of bookcases. i let my body sink into the comfiness of the environment. i heard light footsteps approaching me and looked up to see verr with a cup of tea and a book, as usual.

she kneeled down beside me as i took the piping hot tea from her hand and placed it down at a small table next to me. then, i took the book verr was holding and read the title out loud. "the boar princess.."
i traced my finger along the cover of the book gently. "it was my favourite book when i was a child, i'm sure you'll love it. i'll be at the desk if you need anything." with that, she stood up, dusted her clothes and slowly walked away, banishing amidst the bookshelves.

i slowly opened the book and begin reading the words laid across the page.

-

after a while, i had finished reading the book that verr gave me. i have to say it was a pretty good read. i glanced out a window to see the dark sky full of stars, it was probably late evening now, around 7 or 8pm. i quickly shot up, and hurriedly drank the rest of my tea which was now cold.

shit. my father would notice i had been gone for a while now. mother said she would cover for me but i've been here for a few hours and he was bound to notice my absence.

i snatched the book and the teacup into my arms and sped towards the desk to return them to verr, but as i was doing so i felt a felt a powerful 'thud' to my left and i toppled onto the ground. the book and the teacup fell from my grasp as i hit the ground, grimacing in pain.

i shot my gaze up to the person who had crashed into me, only to be met with a pair of empty amber eyes.