𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖.

————————🏷️

𝐈 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐌𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐒 𝐓𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 to prevent them from shaking as i sat beside my mother. what did she mean by we needed to talk? am i in trouble? after a few moments of silence, she turned her attention to me, a small smile creeping on her face.

"why..are you smiling? aren't i in trouble?!" she gently placed a hand on my shoulder. i felt the bed shake a little as she broke out into a lighthearted chuckle, and then pulled me into a tight hug. "can you please explain to me what's going on!" i said, trying to catch my breath.

she mother softened the hug and pulled away slowly. "i'm glad you've finally found someone you can be yourself with." my cheeks flushed bright red as i stared down at the ground. "but i doubt you'll be able to convince your father to stop the wedding." sadness filled her eyes as she lifted my head up with her hand.

"i'm sorry, y/n." with that she stood up, the bed shifting slightly at her absence. once she exited my room my mind spiralled with everything she had said. someone i can finally be myself with? does she mean xiao? why him..i only just met him. she makes this seem like a romance story.

with the thoughts still running around my mind i let me body fall onto the soft mattress which engulfed me. my eyelids grew heavy as i drifted off to sleep, reminiscing the short time i had spent with xiao.

-

i awoke from my slumber as the rays of sunlight shined through my window onto me face. i lifted my body of my bed and shifted my legs, placing them onto cold floor. i heard a gentle knock on my door, followed with noelle entering quietly.

"miss y/n, your father requests your presence downstairs." i sighed, nodding as noelle left me to get dressed. within a few minutes, i reluctantly dragged myself down the stairs to my fathers office, gently knocking on the door three times. my father's rough voice from the other side of the door allowed me access, to which i entered his office.

"do you seriously think leaving at dinner will prevent me from making your wedding plans." his voice was laced with rage. "i don't care if you don't want to marry mr. zhongli. after you left we agreed that the wedding will be held in two months." he dismissed me with a sway of his hand.

as soon as i left and the office doors closed behind i dropped to my knees, tears welling up in the back of my eyes. "two months.." i muttered to myself. "i don't even know the man..and i'm getting married to him in two months?!" my voice was shaky as warm liquid began to pour down my cheeks.

"what the hell is this..why is the world so cruel."

i lifted my arm to wipe the tears staining my cheeks and hoisted myself up from the ground. my knees were shaking slightly, due to me still being tired seeing as it was the early hours of the morning. glancing around my surroundings, my sight laid on the closed off staircase from last night and a wave of comfort instantly flowed over me.

suddenly, an idea shocked me. if the case ever happens when for any reason i'm unable to sneak off to wangshu library..i could just turn the room into a library of my very own. i could turn it into a place of refuge from reality. i smiled at the thought. but until that was ready, wangshu library was the only place to go for when i needed to get away from the cruelty of my father.

being careful not to be seen, i dashed out of the front door and into the empty street. i glanced around, confused for a moment as to why no one was around, but then it struck me that it was still relatively early in the morning. i highly doubt verr would have opened up by now, so i might aswell go for a walk around the town.

i have to admit, i didn't actually know much of where i was going. as the daughter of the l/n family, i grew up as a very reserved child. i was never able to get outside that much, until around the age of 15, but i still stayed close to the area of my home.

whilst being trapped within my thoughts, i crashed into someone's back, causing me to fall down to the ground. "oh sorry i wasn't looki-" i was cut off by a gentle chuckle. i looked up to the person who stood above me.

"are you following me y/n?" xiao teased, reaching a hand out to help me off the floor. i let his grip clasp around my hand and pull me up off the floor into his chest. he grabbed my other arm with his free hand, encasing my entire body in his warmth. "what are you doing out so early?" his amber eyes pierced through my own, sending slight shivers down my back.

i composed myself, preventing the pink hue from flooding over my cheeks. "i was just going for a walk." i smiled at him gently. "i was also thinking of getting supplies to renovate the closed off room in my house..." xiao released me from his grip, taking a small step back. he glanced down at his wrist to look at the small watch that rested on it.

"well the shops will be open soon, i don't mind helping out if you'll let me." he said it quietly but i still managed to catch what he was saying. i raised my brow at him. "seriously?" i questioned. he nodded and sent me a small smile.

"well i have nothing better to do today. let's go." he turned his back to me and began walking away. "hey wait up!" i ran after him, yelling as i closed the distance. xiao turned his head back to me and smirked slightly, stopping in his tracks, causing me to crash into him. 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛.

whilst i was slightly stunned he stepped beside me and grasped my hand in his, gently pulling me along with him. "w-what are you doing?! what if someone sees! if my father sees-" he cut me off.

"no one will see. look around you, y/n, we're the only ones out this early in the morning". his grip loosened slightly. "unless you don't want to hold my hand." xiao chuckled slightly, giving me a side eye glance. i squeezed his hand tighter, indicating that i didn't want to let his warmth slip away from me.

we walked together, hand in hand, encased in a comfortable silence. i used the peaceful atmosphere to drown in my thoughts.

was i being stupid?

i only met xiao a few days ago but i trust him so well.

i should be careful though, after all, i am engaged to someone else. someone i have to marry in two months.

i zoned back into reality when i felt a small tug on my hand. i looked up to see the familiar, fluffy teal hair blowing slightly in the wind. "we're here." he looked ahead of him. "are you okay?" i quickly nodded, shaking off the thoughts that raced around my mind.

"yes!! yes, i'm okay. i'm just a little tired. let's go on shall we?" i walked forward, into the shop, pulling xiao along with me.