1

the school always felt empty at night. all the students were in there rooms probably fast asleep but hope couldn't fall asleep no matter how hard she tried. the thoughts of the past swarming around her mind making her sick to her stomach.

usually hope would have gone outside for a run but she thinks it's probably too cold for that. christmas is around the corner and hope is still mending a broken heart.

walking into the kitchen hope grabs a cup from the cabinet taking it over to the facet running the water. she fills the cup and takes a drink from it trying to calm her nerves.

hope starts to think about a few months ago when josie and her stayed up late at night past curfew just talking in the kitchen about little things. a tear escapes hopes eye running its way down her face. she wipes it away as she dumps out the water from the cup.

she couldn't stand to be in the kitchen anymore with the memories she once shared with josie.

but, hope couldn't avoid them because everywhere she went some sort of memory followed her along the way. anywhere in the school was a place hope couldn't go to escape. the memories of her and josie were everywhere floating around like a ghosts.

after the break up, hope basically lost lizzie as well, sure they weren't the best of friends but hope still considered her one of the few she had.

cleo told her it's okay to feel sad about it but at some point she has to move on for her own good but hope couldn't no matter how hard she tried.

josie was still in the school and hope would see her everywhere she went. how are you supposed to move on if you still she the person? that's a question hope will never get answered for her.

so one day hope was sitting in the cafeteria with cleo and kaleb as they talked about whatever came to mind. josie walks in and hope watches her. she still looks as beautiful as ever hope thinks to herself. josie goes to sit with lizzie and her boyfriend mg. hope remembers when she used to sit there, her arm wrapped around josies waist, josie leaning her head on hopes shoulder. hope shakes the thought away when landon walks in.

she never liked landon. sure they danced one time in the square but he was poorly coordinated and was stepping on her feet.

when he came to this school hope thought it was evident his crush on her was still big until he found out josie and her were dating and he backed off.

since they broke up hope has seen how weirdly close josie and landon have gotten. they never used to talk before so hope wonders when it happened.

landon walks over to josies table and hope watches as he asks if he can sit, josie of course being the nice person she is nods and he sits right next to her. it makes hopes stomach twist in a way it hasn't before.

suddenly a snap is in front of her face, she realizes it was kaleb.

"girl if you keep looking it won't get any better." he says. hope assumes he's right so she looks away from them turning her attention on the ones in front of her.

"i know it won't but it still hurts." hope says as she picks at her food on the plate.

" it's the healing process hope." cleo states.

sure it's the healing process, feeling the pain of what you've lost. she's yet to hit the anger stage. soon enough the bell rings indicating lunch is over.

hope turns her head at the wrong moment because she sees landon whisper something into josie's ear and she laughs. like full on laughs. hope thought she only did that with her. she was wrong apparently.

hope and josie weren't on speaking terms so it's not like hope can just go up to her and ask what's going on with landon. she knows it's not her place anymore.

she gives them one now sad look before exiting the cafeteria forgetting she even came with cleo and kaleb at all.

-

returning back to her room hope sits on her bed putting her head in her hands and finally breaks down for the first time since the breakup. the tears flow faster than hope can wipe them away.

a knock on the door stops her from crying and makes her look up. she sees the door opening to reveal lizzie. she wonders why she'd even be here in the beginning. they weren't close anymore.

"sorry for coming unannounced but cleo told me you needed someone to help you so she sent me, not that i want to be here but figured why not." lizzie says. hope laughs lightly.

"of course you had to add that last part."

"you know me." lizzie says before sitting down at her desk. "now what's going on." hope takes a deep breath before talking.

"i know i should be over this by now but it's about josie." hope says as she watches lizzies expression faulter.

"oh what about her." lizzie asks.

"i keep seeing her with landon and it's making me sick to my stomach." hope says feeling the urge to throw up even saying it. lizzie looks at her with sympathy.

"you don't know do you?" lizzie asks. hope looks at her confused.

"what do you mean?"

"well after you and josie broke up she was upset but landon was there with her through it all and they um, they're together."

hope feels as if her whole world just crumbled.

"fuck I should have known." hope says getting up frustrated. "didn't take her long to fall in love again, meanwhile im over here still pinning." hope says walking around in a frantic state.

"hope would you stop pacing, it's been at least three months they just started dating a week or two ago." lizzie says. sure hope guess it has been a little long but still how could josie. they used to tell each other they'd never leave for someone else and would always love each other.

josie lied.

"so, she still is with him." hope says making a face.

lizzie gets up and walks toward the door. "hope you broke up with her, it's your fault." with that lizzie leaves.

hope is left standing thinking over everything. yes she did break up with josie but that's only because she had no choice, but josie doesn't know that. she's still in love while josie is happy without her.

and it hurts.

all she wants is josie back but of course she doesn't want to ruin her happiness even if she knows josie could be happier with her.

author note: feel free to comment also ill try to post as much as i can whenever i am free from school😭