Chapter 13: Beyond Expectations

"You have got to be kidding me!" Erika exclaimed, exasperated.

Shoulders drooped, she frowned at her cell and threw it over to her bed before letting herself fall beside it.

She's been contacting every possible person she knew in the business for the last three days, heavily hinting and even sometimes openly asking if they have a job offer for Syaoran after he finishes his current project here in Japan.

"Honestly! How hard is it to get an acting job anyway? Hundreds of movies are made yearly and not one outside Japan is willing to take Syaoran?" she muttered to herself, still furious. So far, the only luck she had of getting Syaoran hired anytime soon is another project here in Japan, which is exactly what she's trying to avoid. She has to find another job for him outside the country before he gets offered another one here but most of those she had contacted are either too cheap to hire him, or find that he deserves to at least rest up first after so much box office hits he's had lately.

*****

"Bravo! Yes, yes, yes! What a wonderful voice!"

Sakura blushed at the compliment but beamed up at the man all the same.

"Thank you Mr.-"

"Please my dear, I told you to just all me Genji," he reminded her with a wave of his hand.

"Didn't I tell you it was worth the trip back to Japan, Genji?" another man said as he came into the recording room Sakura was still situated in with a few people, who had played the instruments to the song, behind her.

With a wide and an almost excited look on his face, Genji nodded. "Indeed you did and I don't regret it one bit!" he announced before turning back to Sakura. "My dear, a few more songs and we'll be ready to release a whole album with your name embossed in large gold lettering in the front! I don't know why you've kept this talent of yours under wraps for so long."

Sakura smiled a little. "I've had more important matters to attend to," she explained vaguely yet honestly.

"Understandable of course," he said with a nod and a face that looked like her response actually explained it all.

"Now Sakura," said Mr. Hama, cutting in. "We'll just have one more take on that last song. And we'll be taking a video of you singing as well. You wouldn't know when video footage might come in handy in the future."

"Now, now, Denjiro," Genji said, looking over to the owner of the recording studio and his long time friend. "Do you really think that's necessary? I mean, it's too early for that, isn't it?" he asked, not really knowing much on the music industry himself.

"Who knows," Denjiro replied with a shrug before giving a nod at Sakura and the band before taking his leave with Genji following after him.

*****

"Thank you Hiro-san," Syaoran said genuinely with a slight bow of his head.

"No, no, Li. Thank you! You've done a fabulous job lately. I'm beginning to think we're actually underpaying you! This movie might only be open to theaters nationwide for now but I'm sure it'll reach the sights of international viewers soon enough when they find out you're in it!" he said in a sure tone and a jolly laugh.

Syaoran grinned at him one last time before taking his leave.

"Mr. Li," a crew man greeted with a nod as he passed by.