Chapter Three - Choose Your Own Adventure

It took me a year to get over my hugely embarrassing cruise vacation fiasco. But ever persistent Julia, not to be denied had been talking and talking about a trip to Mexico. She knew of this really fabulous resort we could go to where the prices were still low. "No one is completely over the pandemic yet, and you can get really cheap PCR tests down there."

I told her I had many concerns and listed them off one by one. She just as quickly knocked them down. I gave in because I could afford it and I had vacation time coming. And I could add it to my list of Now or Never Stuff. Bonus.

Two weeks before we were to go Julia came to me with a face that spoke volumes. She couldn't go to Mexico. That big project she had been working on was nearing a crucial stage and it was going to need her supervision. I guess I could have cancelled too but by now I had convinced myself what a good time I was going to have.

It was no surprise that the flight to Mexico was not like in those movies of the past where food and smiles were given freely. However, there was an air-conditioned resort bus waiting when I finally got through customs and I felt my shoulders come down from around my ears.

What is it about travelling alone as a woman that brings out all those sympathetic faces and barely hidden looks of pity? I had travelled by myself before and I knew the signs. Old married couples were always inviting you to join them. I realized pretty quickly that if I didn't want to be smothered by all the well- meaning types at the resort I needed to reach out and make my own plans.

After maybe one too many breakfast mimosas I excused myself from all those well-meaning folk and wandered the wide-open, airy lobby. Sitting behind the guests services desk was a vision, a dream, a revelation dressed in crisp, white linen. His thick, black, wavy hair and café au lait skin were a balm for my grey-sky weary eyes. "Buenas dias, senorita." Music, angels, cellos.

"Hello," he repeated because he probably thought I knew no Spanish. He was wrong, I knew a little Español, but it's hard to speak when your tongue is stuck to the roof of your mouth. I swallowed and said, "Hola."

"Ah hablas Español!"

I had to stop that language train in its tracks before it got too carried away. "Nope, just a few words," I admitted.

He continued to soothe me with his caramel voice and asked me if I had any activities in mind. He began to list all kinds of things I might like to do. Bungee jumping, paragliding, zip-lining through the jungle, visiting a tequila planation? I stopped him with a quick and purposeful, "No, thanks."

He stopped talking for a minute and then looked straight into my eyes. "I know what would move your heart," he said. I was horrified. Did he really know what I had been thinking and that it had nothing to do activities?

"You want something that challenges you, an experience that feeds your body and your mind. You want to do something you have never done before.

"Am I right?" he asked.

Well, he wasn't wrong. Of course, dear reader, you know I have my limits.

"Senorita, my name is Oscar and I promise you I have an opportunity for you that you will never regret."

Regret, well that was my middle name. I have regretted more things in my life than grains of sand on that lovely, white beach. I really didn't want to add to the pile.

We sat side by side on a couch and he went into great detail about what I could expect on my "Journey into Yourself." It would be an early morning hike into the hills with a break for lunch and a hike down to the beach returning to our resort. Along the way I would have opportunities to learn about the flora and fauna and to hear about a side of Mexico that few gringas ever hears. It had just enough "outside my routine" vibe to satisfy me. But let's be honest here. He had me at, "I will be your personal guide for this private experience."