4. I'M A REGULAR PERSON.

PALOMA

I put the cup of black coffee on the table, Mr. Jay picking it immediately and taking a sip. All through the week he always looks forward to drinking it and I also make sure to take it to him right on time, 8.15 am.

"Good morning sir." I greet him and he doesn't hear me, just continues drinking the coffee hungrily. Not wanting to get between him and his coffee, I leave the office going back to mine to print the needed documents for today's meetings.

Getting done with printing I put the documents together, checking Mr. Jay's schedule. Atleast today he isn't going to be so busy, his afternoon is free so that means he can take a rest and leave the office earlier like he always wants.

I drink my coffee with the glazed donuts from our bakery that I carried since I didn't have breakfast at home. I not sure if I should give my boss some, maybe he won't like them. So I'm eating them all.

Mrs. Smith comes to drop the documents for the new project and sees the glazed donuts. "They smell so good." She says and I pick one giving it to her.

She takes a bite and moans at how good it is making us both laugh. "Where did you buy these, please tell me so I can get some for myself on my way back home."

"I didn't buy them, they are from my parents' bakery." I tell Mrs. Smith as she takes another big bite.

"Just give me the address and I'll drop by in the evening to buy some." She says and I smile writing down the address, handing it to her.

She walks to the door with it in hand and turns to look at me again. "The bakery that has been supplying pastries for morning tea to us has closed down and we are still looking for another supplier. You can talk to your parents so they can come tomorrow and discuss with the management if they can be the new suppliers. They should come with some samples."

I nod with a wide smile calling my mum immediately and informing her about it so she and dad can be ready with the samples. I want to help them as much as I can in the bakery's growth. It means the world to them because it's something they've been doing together for so many years.

I know if they get to be the new suppliers they are going to be so happy.

The desk phone rings and I pick it up. "Bring the project documents to my office." Mr. Jay says and hangs up.

I pick my grey blazer that I wore with a matching skirt, putting it back on and picking the documents. Mr. Jay puts down the file he is holding and takes the documents from me, flipping through them.

We walk out together going to the conference room to meet the project stakeholders. Mr. Jay is back to business mode, his face extremely serious and authoritative.

He opens the door and we get inside the conference room, greeting the stakeholders. I give them each the documents before sitting down on the side as they start the meeting.

Mr. Jay leads the discussion as they talk about the goals and aims of the project, resources needed, technology to be used, standard project methodology to be followed, timeline and budget. Every stakeholder is giving out ideas on what's to be done.

The meeting goes on for more than an hour before it finally ends. They gather in the break room to have a drink and snacks, Mr. Jay immediately going back to his office as usual.

I also serve myself a cup of tea and some biscuits since it's already morning tea time. Sitting down, I see him walking back to the room, serving himself a cup of tea and the biscuits I gave him the first day and he declined.

He chats with the stakeholders as they drink tea, laughing from time to time.

I catch some of the men stealing glances at me as they talk. Feeling uneasy and uncomfortable because of all the attention that's now on me, i excuse myself and leave the room.

I put away all the files that Mr. Jay has used, arranging them back on the shelves neatly. After getting done with everything I sit in my office playing fruit slice on my free time. No matter how hard I try, I can't beat the record that my boss set.

He comes to the office much later noticing how frustrated I am. He takes the iPad from me tapping on it for a while and giving it back. Then I see the new record he has set that has increased and is now way higher than the one he set before.

"I was trying to break your first record and now you've made it harder for me by this new high record." I complain, glaring at him and shoving his arm playfully. I stomp my feet on the hardwood floor as he laughs heartily at me, rubbing his arm and moving away so I don't shove him again.

"Some of the stakeholders back there were enthralled by your beauty." Mr. Jay suddenly says and I look away from the iPad to him. "I think that's the reason most of them stuck around today after the meeting, just to be in your presence."

That makes me remember how they were stealing glances at me as they chatted.

"I was uncomfortable with all the attention and eyes on me." I admit and he nods. He could tell.

I go back to playing the game as he checks his phone. "You told me weeks ago that even though I'm always busy with work and want to get the job done all the time, I should prioritize myself and my health first. That's the reason I've now started taking morning tea."

"I'm glad to hear that." I tell him truthfully, not wanting to see his health deteriorate because of work. "Your health and wellbeing comes first."

"You are actually the first person to face me with the truth and say it as it is to me." Mr. Jay admits again. "You aren't afraid to express yourself and you don't treat me as a boss, you treat me as a regular person because I'm a regular person. I like it that way."

With that, he walks out of my office and I smile going back to playing fruit slice. I better break this new record he has set or I'll go crazy.

♡♡♡♡♡

After a long shower, I put on my black silk pyjamas before joining my parents in the dining room for dinner. Mum has already cooked and the food smells amazing as always. I know it tastes good too, her cooking is always the best.

"Thank you for referring us to your colleague at the company. We already took the samples and so many employees loved them. We are now waiting for the feedback if we will be the new suppliers." Mum says happily, serving me and I pick my spoon digging in. I didn't actually refer them, it's the donut they made that stood out because of how good and sweet it was.

"I didn't refer you to them." I tell mum and dad. "One of my colleagues tasted the donut I carried with me for breakfast and loved it. Your amazing work spoke for itself."

"Well we are still thanking you." Dad hugs me before going back to eating. "How's work so far?"

"It's good. Very busy but I like it that way." I say not wanting to go into detail because it will only make my parents ask endless questions that will make us sit here for hours.

I load the plates in the dishwasher, cleaning the kitchen before going back to my room to sleep. Viola comes an hour later to spend the night like she always does on some days. There is a guest room just for her that she always sleeps in.

She finds me busy playing fruit slice and sits next to me. "Why are you biting your lip so hard and using so much force on the iPad. You might break it."

"I'm trying to break my boss's record. I have to because he keeps laughing at me when he sees me struggling with it." I tap more on the screen, slicing as many fruits as I can.

"You and your boss play games on the phone together?" Viola asks in surprise and I don't bother looking up at her, my eyes sorely on the game.

"No, we don't play together. He found me playing and decided to join just to frustrate me."

"You and Mr. Jay are close huh." Viola nudges me, wiggling her eyebrows mischievously and i roll my eyes.

"We aren't close, we are just workmates ready to listen to each other. When I look at him I don't just see a successful businessman, I also see a man who yearns to be heard and cared for." I whisper more to myself.

"I see a man who yearns to share his thoughts with someone."