I Think I Like Kevin

"I can't believe you invited that jerk, Double D," Eddy complained as he and Ed pushed their way into Edd's house.

"Salutations, Eddy, Ed," Edd said in a monotone. "Shoes, please."

The Eds kicked off their shoes and thumped themselves softly onto the couch. "Well?" asked Eddy.

"I think it's fun to have a new friend," Ed said, grinning.

"This is Kevin we're talking about, Ed. Not a 'new friend,'" Eddy growled.

"I am sorry, Eddy, but I told you before. Kevin is as much a fan of the Avengers movies as the three of us. I did not plan on inviting him. It just slipped out before I thought," Edd said as he sat down in the living room chair.

"And now we get to spend our afternoon with him," Eddy said, rolling his eyes as he crossed his arms. Then he looked at Edd, his eyes narrowed. Eddy came across as a selfish person who focused mainly on himself, but Edd and Ed were his closest friends, and Eddy loved them more than anything. He hadn't missed Edd's personality change this week, nor did he miss the lack of enthusiasm his friend generally displayed on an Avenger movie day. "Come on, Double D, talk to us. What's eating you?"

Edd turned his eyes on him, surprised, and Eddy could see the redness in them. "What, Eddy? What do you mean?"

"You've been sad for almost a week now. Your eyes are red. You've been crying," Eddy said.

Ed frowned. "Double D is sad? Double D? Don't be sad!"

Edd held up his hands, "I am not sad, Ed. Do not worry."

"Then what are you crying about?" Eddy demanded.

"It is nothing. Eddy. It is nothing."

"Bullsh*t, Double D. Is Kevin doing this? Is he picking on you or threatening you?"

"No!" Edd exclaimed, appalled at the thought.

Eddy studied Edd; his lips pressed together. He noted Edd's flushed face and flash of anger, which was rare in his usually happy friend. "It has something to do with Kevin," he said.

'Curse Eddy and his astute observations!' Edd thought in frustration.

"Is Kevin hurting you, Double D?" Ed cried.

"No! No! Kevin is not hurting me!" Edd insisted.

"Double D, we're your best friends. You can tell us anything. We can't help you if we don't know," Eddy said in a gentle voice that only Edd and Ed had ever heard.

Edd tore inside because Eddy was right. He unconsciously pulled his knees up to his chest and reached up to pull his hat further down on his head, something he often did when he felt cornered. Once Edd had done this, Edd realized that it would only prove to the other Eds that Edd was hiding something, and Edd put his forehead on his knees. "I do not think you can help me with this," he said faintly.

Eddy looked at Ed; his expression troubled now. He had thought that maybe Edd was crushing on someone who didn't like him back, but he understood now that whatever was bothering Edd was more severe than he had guessed.

Eddy leaned forward, his hands on his knees. "Edd, just tell us. I can't send Lumpy here to bash any heads in if I don't know what the problem is."

Eddy achieved his goal of getting Edd to at least chuckle faintly, though he still kept his face hidden.

After a glance at his phone, Eddy said, "Kevin isn't supposed to be here for another half hour, so...."

Edd was silent for a few minutes, and the other Eds waited patiently, often looking at each other. Ed, surprisingly to Eddy, was also quiet, but then they never gave Ed the credit he deserved. While slow, he was often more aware of things than he appeared.