Chapter 13 (Revison Complete)

Disclaimer: I do not own One Piece.

~^-^~

Ace sat on the only bed in the room that he shared with his brothers after forcefully removing Sabo's shirt in frustration. He felt utterly useless sitting there practically twiddling his thumbs. Ace was so angry with himself for once again failing to protect his two best friends, his brothers, Sabo and Luffy who stood by his side through thick and thin. They became the family he never felt he had, helped him open up a bit more and accept Dandan and her group of bandits....

God, how were they doing now? Did they think the three were dead? What about Makino? That sweet bartender who helped them with more than Ace could ever repay, and Garp? How's he been doing? Has he gone to check on them since? Have any of them been looking around, asking for them? Have the three of them really been forgotten? 

Ace's finger twisted around the fabric of the sheets as he resisted the urge to pull out his own hair. What he wouldn't give for a form of a distraction, hopefully one that included his three brother's returning to his side. 

A knock on the door startled him out of his thoughts. 

A familiar voice called out, "Ace? Are ya in there buddy?"  

"Thatch?" Ace responded. 

He slowly slid off the bed doing his best not to make a sound. 

"Yup! Now this might sound stupid, but I saw Sabo just a while ago and he seemed a bit scared? I figured something was wrong, but he assured me everything was fine. Still just to make sure I came here to see if you were okay." 

Ace cleared his throat attempting to speak calmly and clearly through the growing panic. 

"I'm fine here, so maybe it was something else?" 

"Kid, it's not that I don't believe you, but it would make me feel a whole lot better you let me see for my own eyes," Thatch replied. 

"Thatch, I said I'm fine. Don't worry," Ace said despite feeling the exact opposite of fine. 

"Ace, ju-" 

"I SAID I'M FINE!" Ace shouted as he clenched his fists as his impatience and fear grew. 

Ace froze in place his heart beating a mile a minute ready to run or fight his way out of the situation. 

"I'm sorry Ace, but that sounded like you were far from fine. Now I know something is obviously wrong. Whatever it is just let me in and I can help you!" 

Ace chuckled darkly, "Look I appreciate the concern. It's more than most have given to Sabo, Luffy, or me, but seriously leave. I swear I'm just go do some commander work or something. I think I heard Marco complaining about some paperwork?" 

Thatch sighed and from the other side of the door placed his hand flat against the wood separating him from the child on the other side.

"Ace, I promise whatever is bothering you I'll do what I can to help you. All you need to do is let me in. Not as the fourth division commander of the Whitebeard Pirates, but as the man you met on the boat just before our rescue. You trusted me then with Luffy's life, didn't you? Can't you trust me with yours?" Thatch pleaded. 

Ace took a deep breath and stepped forward to open the door stopping a few steps away from the knob as his resolve weakened. 

"Can you promise me you won't tell anyone?" Ace asked weakly taking another step. 

Thatch dropped his hand, "If it's life threatening..."

"Can you promise me," Ace demanded as he took another step forward to where he could reach the handle.