Chapter 15 (Revised)

Disclaimer: I do not own One Piece.

Thatch exited the room pondering all he learned in this moment. Everything about the situation seemed unlikely. Marshall D. Teach was his crewmate, a part of this ship that was so well trusted, and his brother in all but blood. Why would he ever even lay a hand on children? Let alone the slave trade!

The notion is ridiculous, yet the look Thatch saw in their eyes was an aspect the commander never wanted to see in children. Let alone ones that were so close to him now. The three were a bit annoying at times sure, but they were family. Thatch couldn't imagine what life would be like without them. Teach couldn't have hurt them...right?

The same man who showed up to breakfast each day with a smile. The same man who laughed and joked with everyone else. Whose favorite food was pie. Who worked hard each and everyday to prove his worth as he worked his way up the ranks to gain the trust of everyone to become the second division commander. Marshall D. Teach was a man Thatch respected. There is simply no way they could have misjudged him so much. The idea is unlikely with everyone on the boat. Unless there are others helping Teach?

The fourth division commander walked along the hallway with his mind reeling with every bit of details he knew about the second division crew member, all the clues that he could have missed, and the trips the man would take. Ace, Sabo, and Luffy wouldn't lie like that. Their experience was an unfortunate one, but Thatch believed them. The look in their eyes made sure of it. Even Luffy's held a pained glint that Thatch was unaware the child even knew how to express.

The commander took a deep breathe and made a decision. Thatch did not want to involve others if the situation could be taken care of quickly. A lot was at risk with the three young boy's strong accusations including the faith they held in the chef and the crews own faith in each other. Betrayal was simply not a factor the Whitebeard Pirates handled lightly. If in the slim chance Teach really hadn't done anything Thatch could not throw him to the wolves.

Ace had bruises. Ace was hurt at the hands of someone and Teach is Thatch's only lead. He can't just let the slide. A child under their protection was hurt by one of their own. God, if Whitebeard or Marco find out? All hell will break loose. No one will escape their wrath until whoever did it is found. They're only children.

"And where do you think you're going?"

Thatch froze in place before turning to the source of the voice. Upon seeing Izo standing there with a delicate brow raised and arms folded did Thatch allow a grin to come forth.

"You know I was just walking along really contemplating your beauty when you just happened to appear."

Izo rolled his eyes, "Har har. Very funny. As if you have actually cared for a sense of true fashion around here before. It doesn't matter you just had a stupid look on your face. I'm looking for Sabo have you seen him?"

"Hey!" Thatch sputtered. "I hope you know my sense of fashion is plenty fine and my face is most definitely not stupid. I like to think I look devilishly handsome most days. Why are you looking for Sabo?"

"Of course you would think that," Izo dismissed with a wave of his hand. "Some of the navigators found some old maps they wanted to test the blond on. So have you seen him?"

Thatch shrugged already preparing a lie, "I just saw them. They were playing jokes and I think I heard them say a game of hiding. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a prank on some poor sap or something like that."

Izo puffed, "If they touch my things those boys won't know what hit them."

Thatch winced at the other's choice of words, "I'm sure they'll be careful not to do anything too out there, who knows what kind of trouble they'll find themselves in."