There He Was

I swear I almost screamed when I saw Mateo and Dolores hovering over me, both of their clothes practically drenched in soil.

Dolores' eyes were broad, her mouth agape. While Mateo simply held that usual look of concern and hope.

"S-shes alive!?" Dolores stumbled backwards, still staring down at me.

"I... am? Is this not heaven? Huh," I furrowed my eyebrows out of pure perplexity. Somehow I didn't feel very ecstatic, or strongly about any emotion for that matter. I guess I couldn't strike up the energy, being dead really takes it of a person, doesn't it.

Without so much as a word, Mateo pulled me off the ground hastily. Before I could even spit out a simple hello he strapped me in a tight squeeze.

"I've missed you so much..." he whispered softly, it sounded like he was about to start sobbing right then and there. Though knowing Mateo, I doubt he'd let tears escape from his eye sockets.

"Yeah uh... why so sad? I mean, yeah I died," I pulled myself away, "but it hasn't been that long."

An awkward silence filled our surroundings, Dolores' once astonished face now resembled some pity on me. Well, that's what it looked like anyways.

"Well... Sia... about that, it's been a year."

My lungs pulled to a halt, my thoughts fizzling around.

A year.

It's been a year since I died.

Is Camilo okay?

Are the Madrigals okay?

Have I aged!?

I quickly glanced down at my body, brushing the dirt off of my skirt.

No, I don't think I have.

So Camilo must be, 18?

"A year? Wait so what happened to Mama?"

Mateo's eyes darted to his feet, his fingers fidgeting while his body swayed back and forth. I could sense some nervousness from him.

"Mateo?"

"She's dead."

A dramatic gasp fell out from between my lips, "d-dead!? What happened!?"

"Camilo killed her. He didn't mean to, I promise..." Dolores looked me straight in the eye, her voice trembling.

I processed the words faster than 1+1, dumbfounded, I found myself sprinting off. To casita, I needed to know Camilo was okay. I needed to know Isabela was fine.

Pepa, I could already tell wasn't feeling the best. Deep grey clouds filled the sky, only small hints of sunshine managing to peek through small cracks.

Wherever I had been buried was a decent distance from casita itself, my thighs were beginning to ache sorely. After all, I hadn't actually been moving for an entire year, and immediate exercise is a little unexpected. Also painful.

I panted after busting through the large blue doors, entering casita. I huffed, my hands holding me up from my knees while sweat practically dripped off my scalp.

I am never doing that again.

"Camilo stop playing tricks, I know I told you to try out healthier coping mechanisms but this... I can't bare to see her face again." I was soon greeted, well, met with a familiar voice.

I looked up from my bent over position, there she was.

That artistic, colourful dress flowing down to her ankles.
Although her face couldn't match that positive description. Her eyes resembled a cavernous pit filled by her sorrows. Vast depths of grief glinted her pupils. Her usually soft lips were now cracked, dry.
Her hair pulled back in a knotty ponytail, strands sticking out from ever corner of her head.

A long pause followed.

Her glare against my hopeful gaze.

"Isa... I'm not Camilo."

"Primo, it's hard I know, but you really can't be going around as Sierra," she sighed, walking up to me and taking my hands in hers.
"I miss Sierra just as much as you do. I miss her everyday. You know better than anyone what the feeling is like, please don't shapeshift as her. It's really hard to see her again."

Before I could even deny her assumption, my brother's shaking voice called from behind me, "Isabela, that's Sierra. I uh, I did something and now she's, alive?"

"No, you're lying. Her head was bashed in, we all saw it."

"No, Isa. It's really me."

She seemed puzzled for a moment, her focus darting between me and Mateo. Eventually, her hands clamped over her mouth as she stared into my soul. She began sniffling, tears streaming down her cheeks. She almost fell backwards, catching herself though.

"S-Sia...? N-no, no y-you can't... you can't... you died. I don't believe it... it's really you? Actually?" Her voice trembling, her body quivering in disbelief.

I simply nodded, before she trapped my on a tight embrace, "I'm never letting letting you go, ever again!"

"Glad to hear," I grinned through her hair, it's plain as day she never expected such a reunion. I didn't expect it either, though I couldn't exactly expect anything while I was dead. Let alone think.

"I uh," she beamed while wiping away the countless tears straining her eyes, "I know everyone is going to want to see you. Like, right now. This very minute."

Before I could undoubtedly agree, she shouted at the top of her lungs, "EVERYONE! GET DOWN HERE NOW!" She made it sound pretty harsh.

Soon few members left their rooms, taking notice of Isabela standing down on the main floor. It was Pepa, Felix, Luisa, and Antonio.

Pepa had a cloud drizzling above her head, both her and Felix looked rather soaked.

Luisa's exterior didn't seem to have changed as drastically as Isabela's.

Antonio was the same as Luisa, merely a little awkward.

I didn't really know what to do, so without a proper conclusion I felt my feet taking a step away from the shadows.

"Uh, hi," I tried my best not so sound as ill as I was really feeling. My breath hitched, the uncomfortable pressure of the room's atmosphere was really dragging down my confidence.

I heard a squeal of, uh, some emotion. I was too distracted with my own feelings to take proper notice.

Before I knew it, I was hugging someone for the third time today, ginger coloured hair blocking out my sight.

"Oh Sierra..." Pepa sobbed into my shoulder. Her arms holding a compact grip around me, which was uncomfortable to say the least. But who cares, I was just happy to see the only real motherly figure I've ever had. Pepa had treated me like a second daughter, which I couldn't have been more grateful for.

It'll take a century to express my proper gratitude towards this wonderful woman.

She finally backed off me after what felt like a thousand years, although I certainly wouldn't have minded a couple more thousand years.

"My poor hijo is going to be overjoyed to see you! The past year simply hasn't hasn't the same around here."

"CAMILO!" Isa screamed from near us, her voice projecting around casita's walls.

I waited in anticipation as I saw his doorknob turn, the creek of the door being pulled open.

There he was.