Chapter Twenty Six: Up in Flames

As soon as the dance ended and another began, I drew away from the circle and Fabian. I did not look back.

How, I cursed, how could I allow myself to be so easily distracted, so desperately swayed?

My throat felt like a lump of sugar with the bitterest aftertaste. Reia, alone in a prison cell, flashed before my eyes. Freya, in love with Fabian--

-- Reia, in love with Fabian?

Let's not go there, I thought fiercely, I need her back safely first. How can I enjoy myself, when my sister is in such trouble?

I was furious at my own foolishness. Captured by music and the moment, I had almost forgotten what was most important. Stalking away moodily, I crossed the room and took a seat at the edges of the revelry.
The only seats available were the stone pews that made it extremely difficult to avoid the rest of the world. As I folded my arms and crossed my legs, attempting to shrink my body area, I was surrounded by chattering of Exchangers. Food was being served nearby; I took a bowl ravenously, not recalling the last time I'd eaten properly. The old man serving the warm broth gave me a warm smile, and laughed as I ate as fast as I could, then asked for seconds.

'Slow down, child, nobody is going to take your food,' he said.
I was sat on the pew beside his table, my legs folded under me and my hands free to ladle food into my mouth. Between spoonfuls, I gave him an incredulous look.

'Where I come from, anything can take your food away.'

The man's eyes were hidden behind his huge smile. 'Well, I promise no one will get past me. Your food is safe. And if you're really worried, my wife over there will read your future.'

'She's a Seer?' I stopped eating in order to look around. The old man was gesturing towards a stooping lady with iron coloured hair in a buzzcut, surrounded by teenagers and children. The lady was unbelievably old - her face was a maze of lines and folds, and when she grinned, it was entirely toothless. I watched her produce a card for each child, but from a distance I couldn't see what was on them.
Her wings were definitely orange. They were a deep, vibrant orange that reached as tiny spiky feathers from her coloured robes.

'Not a Seer,' the old man replied, busy serving other angels. Between watching him, the old lady and the dancing crowd, I had a lot to keep up with. I took a moment of the man's distraction to glance at the dancers, spotting Fabian on the edges, his back towards me. The unmistakable twisting hornx and chocolate hair was Kirsten, who in my jealousy appeared to be dancing like a snake.

'Something on your mind, chick?'

My head snapped at the sudden shadow across my vision. The old lady was taller than I realised, and she had stepped in front my spying spot on the crowd. All I could do was gape and hope she didn't realise what I had been doing.

But I saw her eyes flicker from me, and backwards, and I knew there was nothing that could be hidden from those eyes.

'No,' I said dumbly, knowing my every move betrayed me.

'She's been very hungry,' the old man stuck up for me. I could have hugged him-- and I disliked close contact.

Fabian's warmth invaded my mind again, and that sly voice added: normally.

'Hungry? Are you still hungry, chick?'

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, my bowl empty. 'No, thank you.'

'Then are you quite sure you're alright?'

'Yes, ma'am.'

'Then you won't mind me reading your fortune?'