Chapter Ten: Growing Pains

Thank you for following so far! Finally...some Fabian development ;) The picture is what inspired me for this next chapter of him and Lumina's "balcony scene". I especially love how grumpy she appears. It's exactly how I imagine her in my head! Voteee! Larissa x

Darkness in summer seemed to descend in slow motion, as if the sun's nature had become as lazy and long as the days. By the time we returned to our rooms, the true night had arrived, and the sky had become charcoal dusted with white stars. I marvelled from my balcony at the trails of constellations, because from where I had lived in the dusty city below, they had been mostly obscured.

It was almost easy to forget that I was on a floating island; there was only a gentle breeze on my nightdress, and birds were chattering through the dark. Ahead of me, the Sapphire district became lit by lantern-light, orange glows from pretty cobbled houses and along the pebbled streets. I couldn't make out anybody in the streets, but I could hear music, and the air smelt alive.

My back ached again, and I bent over the balcony, trying to stretch it.

Since returning to my rooms, the pain along my shoulder blades had grown.

I heard a noise to my right, and Fabian was stood on the balcony further away. He waved jovially, and I gaped.

'You're that close?' I called to him.

He leant on the balcony, his chin resting on his hand. 'Try not to sound too keen,' he said, 'but the old relationship did warrant some midnight jaunts—'

I blushed angrily.

'That's not fair,' I protested. 'I don't remember.'

'Would you rather remember?' Fabian's expression was curious and teasing, but his eyes betrayed a look of deeply sorrow.

I shook my head.

'Neither would I,' he sighed, staring out into the distance. His eyes were lit by the moonlight above, and at that moment, he seemed incredibly lonely. I looked away, conscious that he'd been waiting eighteen years for Lumina to come home— and she hadn't. Not really.

I must be a disappointment.

My back flared once, more, and I flinched perceptibly; Fabian's eyes slid back towards me.

'Are you okay?' he asked, puzzled. His attire was horribly distracting; he wore what looked like a sleek black night robe, and it hung nicely— a little too nicely— around his body.

'Yeah, it's just...my back.' I said, waving his concern away, and trying to distract myself from the pain with something other than ogling my ex-fiancé. 

'Your back?' Fabian frowned as he watched me grip the balcony. Swiftly, the air around him moved, and Fabian rose into the air, drifting through the gap on the wind. My mouth fell open.

'Midnight jaunts,' I said weakly, laughing. His feet touched down on the balcony railings, and he squatted down to look at my face.

'You're pale,' he remarked, 'and sweating.'

'...thanks,' I scowled at him.

'No I meant that you look ill...'

I was beginning to double over; straightening just seemed to worsen the pain that was spreading all along my back. Fabian hopped onto the floor, before sweeping my nimbly from my feet, using the wind to guide me into his arms.

'Stop!' I said, embarrassed, trying to wiggle away. He ignored my protests, and I was forced against his chest. His heart was beating steadily, and he had a familiar smell of home.