Chapter Thirty One: Performing to the Gods

The girl shuffled onto the stage looking like one of a hundred cattle going into market. Kitty eyed her small space to perform, whilst around her competed other travellers and their shows, all vying for the crowd's attention. The night was young and still light, but the distant setting of the sun highlighted the time. I sucked in a breath, noting the sunset.

Fabian's not back yet.

Sakura flanked my side, her hand on the dagger at her hip. Although we tried to remain inconspicuous by not carrying weapons, my loyal friend would not have me at any risk of danger. And out in the open, on the plains beneath the craggy rock and the towering prison, was the fairground.

Here, the lower classes and middle classes spent their time entertaining and eating and gambling, whilst the upper class quarters were thoroughly guarded. Occasionally, the best performers from the fairground were invited into the Northern Sector of Ruby, the carefully crafted homes of the rich and famous. Rumours across the fairground said that there had been several poor gypsies, swept off their feet into the upper class realms and given wealth and land for their performances. Others said they'd married a besotted rich follower. The remaining rumours stated that they'd never been seen again, regardless.

So Kitty seemed understandably nervous for her first performance, which was to be the last one of our makeshift  gypsy show.

The twins had gone on first, performing odd magic tricks and cracking lonely one-liners. Whilst their act had been decent, very few people paid attention. Next, Jak performed with his usual astonishing violin melodies, his blond hair shaking as he played with angst. His piece, however, was swallowed by a loud saxophone player performing a skit, and being chased around the stage by a tuba. Needless to say, Jak came storming off the stage.

Valkyrie had volunteered for a role. She sang a sweet song, and her voice wasn't half bad. As she sang, Kirsten joined in the music, playing a small flute that played a trill of notes like birdsong. Whilst I enjoyed their performance, it wasn't enough to grab attention. I eyed Kirsten, dressed in a costume that showed all across her belly, and hung a skirt at her hips.

She looked good, and I hated that I was jealous of it.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so irritated by her lack of clothing if she hadn't chronically gotten in the way of me spending time with Fabian. Then again, I had fervently denied any feelings towards him before, and I still wasn't admitting them now.

Perhaps I am not irritated by her open and honest feelings, but from lack of my own initiative and courage.

Damn having a conscience.

I was grateful when Sakura started up a conversation.

'We started our performances late today,' she remarked as the stage, a few feet of wooden boards on steel boxes, was cleared. 'Tomorrow we might need longer performances. Do you have anyone in mind? I can shoot, but nobody wants to watch that.'

I snorted. 'And I can steal. But people don't tend to just sit back and watch as I rob them.'

The two of us shared grins.

'It doesn't matter what performances we put on,' I muttered, eying the dark shadow of the prison far above us. Birds circled, high above.

Sakura nodded, but so small that I caught it only because I was watching for her reply.

We had to maintain our cover, that was all. After arriving in the city only a few hours ago, Fabian had left straight away to make contact with his allies here in the city. Where that was, I had no idea. He still hadn't returned, and he should have been back by now. The rest of us had to set up like everything was normal; as though we were a normal occurrence.