Chapter Nine: A Brief Appearance of a Queen

'They've taken her to a small holding cell, near the Ruby district,' Scarlett said, scanning the letter, worry splitting her face. 'She must have circled her plane to guide them away from us.'

'Bless that girl,' Fabian breathed out.

'Yes, but now the King's men have her, and they will torture her if they think she has information,' Scarlett looked torn. 'We have allies in Ruby, right, Fabian?'

He nodded. 'A fair few. Enough to scramble a group to break her out; but I suppose that will put them on alert.'

'We could free all of the prisoners,' Scarlett said pointedly. 'Try and make it look like a rebellious act of defiance rather than a calculated move.'

Fabian nodded with this idea.

'Yes,' he said slowly, 'but we'll have to plan this carefully. Let's not rush into it. What else does the letter say?'

'It doesn't give away too much,' Scarlett said, 'it's in our codes, but it wants to meet me to discuss in greater detail what's happened.'

I looked to and from them both, uncertain as to what was being decided in that unspoken look they gave each other.

'I will stay and remain with Lumina,' Fabian said, 'we can't leave her alone, and this person is your informer, not mine.'

'That was what I was thinking,' Scarlett sighed, and turned to me. 'I'm so sorry, Lumina. I hoped I would get a longer catch up with my long lost sister, but Arianne is one of our loyal members, and I may be able to help her. Sadly, I won't be here tonight, I'm travelling out to meet one of our Ruby leaders to discuss our next move. I will return as soon as I can. If you need anything, Fabian will be here- his room is just up the corridor from yours.'

I glanced at Fabian, who was already moving towards the door.

I nodded. 'I'll be fine,' I said. Thankfully, I would enjoy being able to spend some time alone to get my head around the last few days, and to sleep, because I was exhausted.

'I'm going to get ready to leave,' Scarlett told us, and she swept out of the door in front of Fabian, and vanishing into the corridor.

Fabian held the door open for me.

'Shall we go find some food? Luckily, Scarlett's getting the hard job. We get to sit around and relax until she returns.'

'I can't relax,' I said shakily, ducking under his arm that was holding open the door.

'Try,' Fabian suggested, 'Believe me, Scarlett won't let you sit down for a moment. She's constantly nagging.'

I smiled. Scarlett seemed so neat and collected, that it didn't surprise me if she was the organiser behind Fabian's idea of a revolution.

'Alright then,' I agreed. 'I'm starving.'

---

After falling from a plane and fearing for my life, I was surprised that I could still be scared by the mundane. But as I sat, staring down at Fabian across a large, kingly table and numerous silver cutlery, my stomach began to squirm. Fabian had spared no expense at my first meal in the Sapphire District, it seemed, and had requested the cooks prepare an elaborate array of Angelican dishes to see which I liked. In his own way, I believe he was trying to cheer me up, and distract me from seeing Scarlett gallop away on a horse only an hour before, as the sun began to set. The summer's long days were here, and her traveller's cloak streamed out behind her against the red sky, her hair short and streamlined as she rode. Seeing her, I felt pride, but also a dim hopelessness. Scarlett seemed much better suited to being a Queen Candidate than I did. If only there were a way to trade, so I didn't have to disappoint the few people that had been waiting for my return...