Chapter Thirty Four: The Stakeout, part 1

I'm ENTERING THE WATTYS 2015!! I'd be UBER GRATEFUL if you could support me!

P.S, how cool is the media? Reminds me of what Clae looks like...you can find the original art on indiron.deviantart.com. 

'Are you ready, Iggy?'

The young shapeshifter's hands shook as, nearly one day later, a small group of us crouched in the same spot waiting for the next round of guards to appear. Iggy was our main focus; his pale face and trembling jaw was just one of many things giving me cause to worry whether this would work. His brown hair had grown longer and more tangled in our journey, and there were dark circles under his normally impish face. His orange feathers of an exchanger were a stark reminder of the power we needed for our plan.

'I can do this,' he said, 'I can do this...'

Clae, who was closest to him and the second person we were all watching, looked much calmer. Her transformation was the exact opposite to the boy next to her. Whereas Iggy looked worn, Clae had lost the frailty I had seen when we'd kidnapped her from the brothel. She was no longer skinny and white, but her face was a healthy pink and her muscles were back along her arms and legs. Her brown hair was pulled into a bun at the top of her head. She wore nothing to decorate her face, but there was an inner glow of freedom there that did more than any paint.

When the next patrol appeared, a fight would break out. Somewhere, hidden in the darkness, was Frederick and his followers.

So many things could go wrong...

Fabian was sat with Kirsten a few metres away. For the first time, she wasn't latching on to him, but rather staring at Iggy with more fear in her eyes than for her sister. There was something disconcerting about Iggy's state. He didn't seem like he was coping at all.

Fabian and I had argued about it earlier.

'It's too late to back out now,' Fabian had argued.

'If this goes wrong, it could be our only chance,' I hissed back.

Clae had promised to take care of him. On her wrist was a spell cast by one of the Exchangers that allowed her to blend with shadows. She would be following behind Iggy.

Valkyrie was sprawled out at my knee, looking so relaxed it was unnatural.

At the lull in conversation, we heard the beginnings of an attack.

In the distance, the guard and daemon came around the corner, and met the attack of Frederick and Aleida.

'Let's move,' I commanded, knowing we were to intercept the angel guard once the daemon was preoccupied.

Iggy looked green. Clae took his hand and gave him a reassuring smile.

We moved fast, darting along the rocks. We were all dressed in black, but it wouldn't be enough to hide us if another patrol appeared. I watched as the monster opened its mouth to roar, and Frederick held out his hand, pressing it to the daemon.

Ice rose along the creature's body, freezing it into place and silencing its cry.

The guard took one look at Frederick and began to run towards the prison.

A gust of wind knocked him off his feet, and held him to the floor.

'Quickly,' I urged, binding the guard's wrists and mouth. He glared at me with a venomous look in his eyes.

Clae stepped in front of him. 'You are going to tell me everything I ask. Is that understood?'

Her eyes had turned a white-hot blue, the pupils lost. The guard's mouth went slack, and he slumped. Startled by the sudden weight, I heaved him to the floor, where he sat like an obedient child.