-24-

1566 words :)

____

THEA STARED AT HER REFLECTION, WANTING TO TEAR ALL THE HAIR OUT OF HER HEAD. WHY MUST SHE LOOK THIS AWFUL TODAY, OF ALL DAYS?

After a few weeks with no news, no sightings of Katrin or HYDRA or anything, it had been decided that, for the time being, Thea was safe to leave the compound.

And today, she was going on her date. With Peter.

'What's wrong?' a voice asked. Thea spun to face her semi-open doorway, on which Wanda was leaning.

'I'm going on a date with Peter- but my hair won't co-operate and I'm already running late and I look awful and he probably doesn't even want to go with me and-' And I'm a murderer, the voice finished for her. Peter deserves better than that. Thea felt tears prickle her eyes as the horrible voice came back, poking holes in everything she'd ever done or said, questioning why everyone was even tolerating her, and generally making her feel like shit.

'Hey,' Wanda said, her voice comforting as she approached the younger girl. 'Don't listen to the voice, okay? Peter really likes you, and you are going to have a lot of fun,'

'How did you know-?' Thea asked, tearing a hand through her curls.

Wanda tapped the side of her head. 'Telepathy, remember?'

'Oh. Right,' Thea twisted a strand of hair around her finger awkwardly.

'Can I help you get ready?' Wanda sat on the edge of Thea's bed, a small smile on her face.

'I-' Thea wanted to refuse, to do it herself, but she was already running late and she still had no idea what to wear, her hair looked like she'd stuck a fork in an electric socket, and as for makeup...let's just say that Thea and makeup were not a good combo. 'Okay. If you don't mind.'

'Of course not,' Wanda smiled. 'Have you decided what to wear?'

'Not really...I want to wear my Docs-' Thea pointed to her favourite Doc Marten boots, slightly scuffed at the edges. '-but I'm not sure if that's improper for a date,'

'Wear them,' Wanda nodded. 'This is a big step for you, yes?'

'Yeah- I've never- I mean, HYDRA didn't let me have friends, let alone...whatever me and Peter are,'

The older girl's eyes flooded with sympathy. 'I get it. And wear your boots- you know them and you like them, they should bring you some level of comfort. As for the rest of your outfit...' Wanda walked over to Thea's closet, which mostly consisted of leggings, baggy jeans and oversized hoodies.

After digging around for a moment, she pulled out a pale blue dress, short enough that Thea could run, long enough that she wouldn't be flashing anyone if she had to fight or sprint or move. It had short, slightly puffed sleeves and was a lot lower-cut than most of Thea's other clothes.

Her scars would be on full display.

As if reading her mind, (she probably was), Wanda spoke up. 'Peter won't mind your scars, Thea. They are a part of you,'

'I know,' Thea hung her head, staring at the rough lines and slightly puckered skin of her wrists, poorly healed from the cuffs that she'd worn for years. Her collarbone was scarred too, a long, twisted line from her shoulder to the base of her neck. A knife had done that, one of her handlers punishing her for asking for a thicker blanket and another book.

'I still- I still feel ashamed of them,' Thea wasn't sure why she was opening up to Wanda, but the witch seemed to understand. Not many people did. 'The scars are ugly; they make me ugly.'