-29-

1335 words :)

____

[katrin's pov, 2010, on the way to the berlin base]

'WHERE'S MY SISTER?' I SHOUTED, WINCING AS THE MEN TOSSED ME INTO THE BACK OF THE TRUCK. 'WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY MAMA?'

I was met with silence.

My hands were tied together with thick black bands, the edges digging into my skin. 'HELP! SOMEONE KILLED MY MAMA AND TOOK MY SISTER AND THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE ME TOO!!!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping that my neighbours would hear and call the police. Rachel and her parents lived on one side- we were friends, and she always let me borrow her sparkly pink pen, so surely they could save me from these nasty men. 'HELP!!!!!'

'Silence, little girl,' one of the men said. 'No one will hear you,'

'WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME!?' I continued to yell, hoping to buy Rachel and Ms-Schmidt-from-across-the-street time to call the police.

'Home,' One of the men responded, before a zap of electricity ran through my body and knocked me out, darkness taking over for the first of many times.

—-

I winced, sitting up. There was hair on my face, but my hands were too heavy to move it. I blew out, the hair lifting momentarily before flopping back on my face. Ugh.

'-mad, don't aggravate him further, Anton,'

'Don't act like it was my fault. You are the one who was supposed to deal with her,'

I fell silent, letting my hair cover my face as I strained to hear what they were saying.

'Well, the point is, the woman's gone, and all we have to say for it are two scrawny bitches. He's not going to be happy,'

'That is not my problem. I did my job!'

'Yes- all you had to do was inject two little girls with a knockout serum; you must be soooo exhausted,' Anton shot back, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

A loud ringing tone cut through their petty argument. 'It's the boss,' the other man whispered, fear lacing his tone. The ringing cut out as he accepted the call.

'IDIOTS, the lot of you- Sofia was the only non-enhanced there, and yet she was the one you lost!!!!!!!!'

The two men looked between each other, terrified, 'You will be punished when you return to base, Drecksäcke,'

'Y-yes, sir,' the men responded.

'SHUT UP!" the man on the call roared in German, and I flinched in the back. 'YOU WILL BE QUIET, AND YOU WILL FIND MY WIFE OR I WILL CHOP YOU TO PIECES AND MAKE YOU WATCH, UNDERSTOOD?'

The men nodded, shaking. 'AND IF YOU LET EITHER OF MY DAUGHTERS SO MUCH AS BREATHE THE WRONG WAY I WILL FIND YOUR GRANDMOTHER, ANTON, AND I WILL FIND YOUR BOYFRIEND AND CHILD, VLADIMIR, AND I WILL DRAIN THE BLOOD FROM THEIR VEINS,'

I shook in fear. This man- the one on the phone-he was my father?

'FIND MY WIFE. AND BRING HER HERE.'

The call ended, silence ringing throughout the truck.

I never saw either Anton or Vladimir again.

[katrin's pov, 2014, the berlin base]

I paced back and forth in the dark corridor, the familiar cold darkness pulsing within my veins. I had only gotten this power recently, a gift, Father says, but now I'm not so sure. They bring nightmares and people's worst fears and I can feel the darkness eating away at whatever is left of my soul.