𝟏𝟒 | 𝐁𝐈𝐆𝐆𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓

They weren't coming

They weren't coming.

It had been hours since they tried calling for help with Seojin's phone, and nobody had arrived to rescue them yet. They couldn't hear the sirens of police cars or fire trucks in the distance, nor any helicopters above their heads.

The only sounds they could hear were the deadly groans of the ravenous flesh-eating monsters that infiltrated their school, each shriek reminded them of the deaths of their friends while enveloping their minds into turmoils of grief and fear.

Seojin convinced herself to remain optimistic, to stay hopeful that help was on their way, to believe that they weren't stranded in this hellhole that was once their school while more than half of the students had been infected with this malignant virus.

But help wasn't coming, and no amount of self-convincing could change the fact that they were most likely on their own, their lives laid in their very own hands and the only people who could save them were themselves.

"We called for help, but I don't think they are coming any time soon, both the police and the first responders," Cheongsan muttered with a frown, not feeling optimistic with the situation whatsoever.

"They'll be here soon, let's just wait a little longer," Miss Park attempted to sound as hopeful as possible, doing her best to comfort the terrified minds of her students despite the anxiety within her.

But they weren't children anymore, and they were all fully aware of what this had implied. Seojin and Suhyeok exchanged dreadful glances quietly, both knowing that help wasn't coming anytime soon.

Onjo recalled the moments that happened earlier today, slowly connecting the dots together. "Miss Park, Hyeonju's hands were cold, so were Isak's hands. What if it started with Hyeonju?" she asked skeptically, and everything clicked when she remembered the way Hyeonju was acting that morning.

The blood that covered her face, her bloodshot eyes, and the way she tried biting into their hands whenever they got close. It all made sense now.

"Hyeonju was sent to the hospital, which means the virus had spread there too," Seojin let out a deep sigh, already imagining what had happened to the girl and possibly the entire city. "That's why nobody is coming for us..." Hyoryung released a sad breath, helplessness gleaming in her eyes when she realized the harsh truth that they were on their own.

Miss Park lowered her head frustratedly before Joonyoung suddenly asked, "Hold on, this works, doesn't it?" The boy hopped up from his seat and hurriedly limped his way over to the computer on the desk, where Daesu quickly dragged out a chair for his injured friend to sit.

They all gathered around the computer, watching the boy press the power button and waiting for it to switch on in anticipation. "Does it work? Why isn't it turning on?" someone asked, and they all collectively let out breaths of relief when the monitor finally switched on, the bright light from the screen blaring straight at their faces.