Ace of Spades [Vmin]

Excerpt: About two boys who decide to play a new game with a stranger.

Two young boys, named Jimin and Taehyung, were sitting in their backyard one evening. They were passing their time playing cards at the garden table. It was getting dark and the moon was visible in the night sky. There was a forest and a swamp behind their house and the wind was blowing softly through the trees.

The boys were just about to start a new game, when a tall man appeared from the darkness. The two boys had never seen the man before and, as he came shuffling through the long grass and approached them, they felt a little afraid.

“I see you two are playing cards,” he said.

The boys nodded.

“Mind if I join you?” he asked. “I can teach you a new game.”

Taehyung shook his head. His mother had always warned him not to talk to strangers. Besides, the man looked very creepy.

But the other boy said, “OK, I suppose. It’s kind of boring just playing with two people. Show us your new game.”

Taehyung nudged him and whispered in his ear, “I don’t want to play with him. Let’s just go inside.”

“Come on,” laughed Jimin. “Stop being such a baby. Stay here. Don’t you want to learn a new card game?”

Reluctantly, Taehyung agreed to stay. The tall man picked up the deck of cards and began shuffling them.

“I don’t know if you will like this game,” he said, grinning broadly, “but I know I will enjoy it immensely.”

He dealt the cards, one to each of the boys and one to himself. Taehyung’s card slid off the table and fell face-up on the ground. It was the Ace of Spades.

When Taehyung bent down to pick it up, saw that the man wasn’t wearing any shoes. His legs were long and hairy and his toenails were curled. A chill went down his spine. Holding the Ace of Spades in his hand, he began to feel very frightened.

He began tugging at his friend’s blouse and begged him to leave. Jimin refused and dismissed him with a wave of his hand. Taehyung ran into the house and locked the door behind him. He scrambled up the stairs and into his bedroom. Grabbing his mobile phone, he called the police.

When they arrived, a few minutes later, Taehyung answered the front door and led them out to the backyard. When they got to the table, they found Jimin’s dead body lying underneath it. The poor boy had been torn in half. The chair on which he had been sitting was covered in blood. A note had been placed on the table.

It read: “You were saved from death by the Ace of Spades!”