Chapter 13

"Are you absolutely sure you want me to give you my strength?"

Loki's gaze flicked away from the window and fell on Wanda, who had somehow managed to sit herself across from him, her fingers tapping nervously on the table.

"My oaf of a brother has different magical properties to mine," Loki said offhandedly, propping his chin up on his open palm.

The corner of Wanda's mouth twitched up into a smile. "Stephen, then."

Over the past six years, since he was ten years old, Loki had trained himself not to show emotion. He was fairly sure his expression didn't change, but he heard the strain in his voice. "Stephen?"

Wanda tilted her head to the side. "Is everything alright between you two?"

"Why wouldn't we be?" Loki asked, turning the page of his book though his mind was elsewhere. He had a feeling Wanda knew that as well.

She seemed to come to her senses, and she removed her hand from the table. Loki relaxed slightly, taking comfort in the fact that Wanda wouldn't read his mind. "Fair," she said, getting out of her seat and walking over to a nearby bookshelf.

"He does illusion magic too, I'm pretty sure."

Loki's eyes shuttered for a split second. "I-I'm aware," he said stiffly, not missing the flash of hurt in Wanda's eyes.

Shit.

"Sorry," he muttered, pulling his reading glasses off his face and pushing himself back from the table, only to have Wanda send a streak of red towards his book, which flipped shut and levitated off the table.

"It's fine," she murmured, drawing it to her with a pulling motion and plucking it out of the air. She slipped it in a random slot between two books and turned back to Loki, who was openly gaping at her.

Wanda frowned. "What?"

"Nothing- nevermind," Loki waved a dismissive hand and stood up, pretending not to see the inquisitive glance Wanda shot him. "We should get going."

Wanda furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, but upon seeing that many students were moving in the direction of the cafeteria, followed Loki out the doorway. She caught up to him fairly quickly, despite his longer legs.

"Hela."

Swallowing, Loki allowed his gaze to drift away from her, so she couldn't see how his green eyes flashed. "What about her?" Hela was due to arrive in a couple days, and even the mention of her name would have him fidgeting uncomfortably with the closest thing in reach, usually his sleeves or hair.

"Wouldn't she have powers like yours?"

Loki laughed softly, the tension in his shoulders vanishing. "No, she wouldn't. She's insanely good at combat but wouldn't be able to make illusions to save her life."

"Sounds like someone we know," Wanda grinned, making Loki laugh again.

She continued to talk, half to herself and half perhaps louder than she might have intended for it to be, but Loki found he didn't exactly mind the noise. Thor did talk a lot, and Stephen sometimes went into rambling fits, but he liked the background noise their voices made. It served to ground him, to distract and occupy his mind- even if the things they were saying were absolutely nonsensical.

Loki hadn't even noticed that they'd walked past the circle before Wanda pulled on his sleeve, and stumbled, only just managing to stop himself from falling.

"Took you long enough, Lokester," Tony grumbled, and Loki glared at him, ready to retort back, but the words vanished from his mouth as his eyes scanned the assembled group.