Jaylynn

I flung up into a sitting position, my breathing heavy, and my body sweaty. I had just had a horrible dream where the mutants were killing each of my group, and I had to watch. Looking around the dark room I was in, I realized I was in a bed. Pushing the covers off my body, I went to move my leg but groaned when the horrible pain shot through it. Glancing down, I realized it had been bandaged up, but began blushing when I noticed I was in my underwear. I looked up at my top, and all I had on was a bandeau. Confused, I examined the bandeau closer, noticing it used to be my black tank top.

"Jaylynn?" The door suddenly opened, and the room was showered in a warming light. Luke walked in and smiled at me. I blushed heavily, and pulled the blankets over my body, but I only ended up falling off the bed. A shriek came out of my mouth as my injured leg landed on the ground first. Luke ran to my side, and helped me up to my feet. I blushed even more when I realized Luke looking at me. He sighed, and then bent down, and picked up my leggings.

"Here." He held them out, and I thanked him. I walked over to the bed, and sat down, pulling the leggings over my legs.

"The others think we should start heading out tomorrow. You'll be okay with that?" He asked, and I thought for a second before I nodded.

"Okay. I can stay with you if you would like." He suggested, but I shook my head, and climbed into the bed, pulling the covers over me. Luke at me, and then reluctantly left, turning the light off on the way out. I sighed, and snuggled into the covers, letting my mind think. When I remembered Dash, I tucked my knees into my chest, and cried.

"Hey," a calm voice interrupted my voice, as Melody walked toward me.

"I need to be alone, please." I whispered, and Melody looked at me, and then left. As soon as she did, I pulled myself out of bed, and stared out the window into the darkness outside. It would have been better if I had died. I wouldn't have had to think about all the people who have died in my life.

"I can't do this." I whispered, and squeezed my eyes shut. I didn't want to live anymore. Tears welled up in my eyes, as I rocked back and forth. I missed Mom, Dad, and Dash. Sobbing, I buried my face in my knees. I could jump out this window right here and now. My hand reached for the window, and I pulled it open, and felt the cold breeze on my face.

"Goodbye." I said, and was about to jump out.

"No, Jaylynn. You can't do this to me." Someone grabbed my waist from behind, and pulled me into them. I blinked in surprise, and only kept staring out the window. Luke turned me to face him,

"You and my sister are the only ones I have left. Please." He brushed the hair from my face, and held me close to him. I said nothing, as I leaned into him, and Luke wrapped his arms around my body.

"I can't lose you." He said, and pulled me away from him, a pained expression on his face. My mind was blank as he planted a gentle kiss on my lips, but I felt no emotion. Luke let go of me, immediately recognizing my discomfort. He looked quite hurt, but I paid no attention, and only walked back to my bed. Luke touched my shoulder, but I ignored him.

"Jay." He said, and I shrugged his hand off me, and pulled the covers over my head. He pulled the covers away, and I glared at him.

"Just leave me alone!" I screamed, and pushed him away forcefully. Luke stepped backwards, and then left the room. I could hear Melody talking to him from outside my door,

"Jaylynn thrashes out at people when too many bad things happen to her. You have to learn to accept that. I know you can probably understand that." A small smile grew on my lips as I listened to Melody's wise words and tone of voice.

"Yeah." Luke said,

"She needs some time, but she'll get over it." I sighed, and buried my head deeper under the covers. Then, I felt sleep overtake me.