twenty

"Da! Da!" Their voices were the first thing to greet them when Namir and Bard finally broke through the crowds of people. Sigrid, Tilda and Bain all threw themselves at their father. Bard leaning down to welcome them all into his arms with a joyous smile. His family was safe and that was all that mattered. 

"Namir!" Fili and Kili's voices called out and Namir strode over to join them by the boat. Bofur was the first dwarf to throw his arms around him in a relieved hug. Fili the second, shortly followed by Kili until Namir was trapped by dwarves. He let out a laugh as Bifer watched in amusement. 

"Thank you. I am alright", he chuckled as the dwarves finally released him. 

"I told you", Bifer announced with a grin. "Cats have nine lives". 

"Definitely", Fili laughed. "You and Bard slew the dragon. We can go home! Come on!" He bounced slightly with eagerness and turned back to the boat. Bofur and Bifer helping him push the boat out onto the water. Kili hesitated, turning round to speak to Tauriel. The she-elf was waiting a few metres away with an unreadable expression. Namir looked behind her to see a pale figure further up the beach. He met Legolas' gaze and smiled as he began walking towards him. 

"You survived", Legolas greeted when he was close enough. Namir came to a stop an arms distance away. They were far enough away from the boat and the dwarves for their conversation to not be overheard but still the elf spoke quietly. Voice low and holding emotion much like the way it would be back during their moonlight meetings. It was honest. 

Namir smiled. "I am. Though I must thank you. I would not be standing here if you hadn't healed me. I could not have helped slay the dragon with poison in my veins". 

Legolas shook his head once. "My men poisoned you. It is my responsibility to heal you". 

Namir's face fell. "Was it only responsibility?" 

Legolas met his gaze, blue eyes warm. He took a step forwards, closing their distance. One hand raised but froze in the air, before lowering again. "No. You are my friend. I did not like to see you hurt". 

Namir tilted his head with a teasing grin. "What if I want to be more than friends?" 

Legolas frowned slightly. "More than friends? You mean to court me?" The question held a note of surprise. 

Namir blinked then his face filed with confusion. "What's courting? I want to be your mate". 

The two of them blinked at each other for a second. Then Legolas paused and seemed to be thinking very hard, mind whirring. "Courting is a process in elf culture that leads to being mates". 

"Like wooing?" Namir asked. "But we have already done that". 

"We have?" Legolas seemed rather lost for words. 

"Yes. We have both shown our skills as warriors and saved each others lives. You have gifted me with food and I have brought you back kills. What more is there to prove?" Namir waved his hands in exasperation, brow furrowed. 

Legolas frowned deeper. "I did not know who you were then". 

"Oh", Namir paused, having forgotten that part. 

Legolas let out an amused chuckled, the corners of his lips turning up and blue eyes crinkling. Namir savoured the expression fondly. "Elf courting involves the sharing of gifts, brought or handmade. It involves outings together where we savour each other's company. We must ask permission from each other's parent before we exchange braids and kisses. It is a long and cherished tradition which is important to me". He held out his hand as he finished speaking, palm up in an offering. "Do you want to court me? Because I think I would like that". 

"Yes", Namir took the prince's hand and squeezed it between both of his own, a wide grin curling his lips. "Can I court you Legolas?" 

Legolas smiled and it bloomed wide and beautiful as a flower. "I accept your offer of courtship. How does one 'woo' a skin-changer?" The word was spoken with slight hesitation at it's unfamiliar sound. 

Namir beamed and let out a happy purr as he threaded their fingers together. "We exchange food. To show how we can hunt and supply food for one another. We spar, to show our fighting abilities. Cuddling and touch is a big part too, scenting when we have proved ourselves strong enough to look after our intended mate. Father says that scenting a mate is different than family but I don't know how. One ewe have proved ourselves compatible and strong, we find a place to settle down and build a den. Once we have built a den and exchanged marks, we are as good as married". 

Legolas listened intently to the explanation. When he opened his mouth to ask a question, Fili's voice broke through their bubble. "Come on Kili! Namir! You coming?" Namir glanced back down the shore to see the boat on the water and Kili running to join his brother and friends. 

He turned back to Legolas with a wide grin. Quickly but tenderly, he pulled up their joined hands and rubbed the soft inside Legolas' wrist over his cheeks. The elf watching in surprise as Namir's eyes slid shut and a deep purr rumbled in his throat as he lightly nuzzled into his palm. When he reopen his eyes, the slits were large and the gaze soft. He pressed a light kiss to the pale skin covering blue veins and heard Legolas' breath pause. "I've got to go. But I will bring you back the best courting gift", Namir grinned in challenge. "It will be something worthy of you". Then he was letting Legolas' hand go and was turning away. 

"Be safe", Legolas found himself calling lightly after him. Namir turned half way down the beach and flicked his hand up in a wave before leaping into the boat just as the dwarves pushed off from shore. 

All four dwarves let out yelps of surprise as Namir's landing caused the boat to rock. The skin-changer sprawled out on wood with a grin. "Try not to sink us before we've crossed the lake", Kili shot him a huff. Namir just grinned. 

"Why are you so sulky?" 

"Why are you so cheerful?" 

"Namir, are you going to help us row at all?" Fili asked. 

Namir blinked big brown eyes at him. "What do you mean? I'm wounded". He pointed at the scabbed up wound in his stomach. The blonde rolled his eyes as Bifer chuckled. The boat sailing on towards the misty mountain ahead. 

"Cats", Kili huffed. Namir flicked water at him and hissed playfully.

"Cats", Bofur laughed as Kili splashed water back. Namir bared his teeth with playful challenge and Kili began cursing at him in dwarfish. Fili just laughed. 

unedited