twenty five

The elf army moved out as dawn broke over the horizon. The sky was clear that day, the clearness and golden light that was sharp with cold. The sunlight glinted blindingly over the ranks as they moved towards the shadow of Erebor. Namir walked amidst the golden armoured elves. The two bags had been tied closed with rope that looped his shoulders and the familiar weight of a sword was strapped to his back. The long black blade as familiar to him as a old friend. It had been surprising that Thranduil had brought the blade from Mirkwood, although the king had stated that he planned abandon the orc blade in the ruins of dale. ("I make an effort to not have such filth darken my city"). Still, Namir had been pleased to see it. The blade far too long for a man or elf to wield comfortably. 

The company, with Thorin in the middle, were visible on the battlements above the gate. Faces cold as they watched the elves approach. Thranduil visible over the ranks on horse back. Bard and the survivors of Laketown remaining in Dale to watch from the ruins. The gold Namir had given them was enough for them to no longer need to plead with the dwarves. Not that Bard's decision deterred Thranduil at all. The elf king rode on a giant moose, the soldiers parting for him like a river as they came to a stop. The stead walked through the path and up to the gates, Thranduil in his customary silver and white gold. Eyes just as cold as Thorin's. The king under the mountain clad in furs and a heavy crown. Nothing about him recognisable or friendly. 

Namir was half hidden from the company's gazes within the soldiers. But he could see them. Fili and Kili stood on either side of their uncle. Their faces set and closed off. It was strange not to see the mischievous sparkles in they eyes that he had grown used too. Even when fighting orcs and facing death, Namir had never not seen them without some sort of brightness. A passion and excitement. The faces staring down from the stone had none of this. That was almost as chilling as Thorin's madness. 

As the moose drew closer, Thorin drew a bow and a arrow splintered on the road. Thranduil stopped. "I'll put the next one between your eyes", Thorin threatened, the bow raising and a second arrow pointing down. Angry shouts of dwarfish insults echoed from the rest of the dwarves. Axes were waved and spears were shook. Thranduil smiled in amusement at the small display. 

There was barely a signal, nothing but a slight tilt of the head that Namir could discern. At once the elf army moved in synchronisation, bows drawing and hundreds of arrows being notched and raised. The company all ducked under cover. All but Thorin, who stayed still, bow still pointed at the elf king. A second of silence as the two kings faced off. Then Thranduil held up a hand and the elves all returned their arrows to their quivers. Namir peered at the elves around him, cat eyes wide. He poked one in the shoulder but gained no reaction. The elf ignoring him as the skin-changer giggled. He made a amused chirrping noise before reluctantly leaving the elf be. This was not the time to be playing with the shiny, reflective armour, even if it did send little beams of light dancing across the floor. There could be a war. Namir could not start chasing light. 

"I have come to tell you that payment of your debt had been offered", Thranduil's voice rung out.  A pause for effect. (This elf king was dramatic). "And accepted".  

Namir's head shot up at the words. This was not the plan. Thranduil was supposed to bargain for the jewels of his people. They had left the people of Laketown in Dale for this very reason. But here the king was, revealing to Thorin of Namir's betrayal and throwing the skin-changer to the wolves. He had expected for Thorin to find out about the theft but not this soon. Namir had planned to have given Legolas his gift and be back home by the time the dwarf had noticed. (There was enough gold that it could have been years before someone figured it out). But that plan was in the water. Thranduil had ruined it. 

"What payment?" Thorin snarled. "I gave you nothing". 

"You gave me nothing", Thranduil conceded. "But the survivors of Laketown are now wealthy enough to survive. Bard sends his thanks". He nodded his head in a mockery of a bow. Namir hissed and began making his way through the soldiers. 

"You have nothing", Thorin stated in argument. 

"I am not lying", Thranduil replied back, voice calm in contrast to the restrained fury in Thorin's. "A bag of gold was delivered last night to Dale to settle your debt. However, I still require the gems of starlight which so belong to my people". 

"Who gave this gold? It was not theirs to give". The fury was boiling and bubbling. Thorin's face pale. 

Namir broke through the soldiers and ran out to stand next to the elf king, face turned up to the dwarves. Instantly the company's gazes fell to him. Thorin's eyes narrowed. "It was you! Thieving beast! We open our gates to you and you think you can steal from us?" 

"It was one bag!" Namir shouted back. "You have caverns of gold. One bag to pay back the debt we all owe. I owe Legolas and Bard my life!" His brown eyes met Thorin's gaze and held. "You would have never of known that amount of gold was missing". At the last sentence, he turned and shot a glare at Thranduil. The elf king did not look remotely ashamed, more entertained by the drama. Namir bared his teeth in a snarl at him. 

"Thief!" Thorin boomed. "You betray us. This was not part of the deal I gave you". 

"Our original deal was that I lead you to the mountain. It did not include me paying for your travel or fighting your enemies for you. I have saved all your lives. A merger bag, less than the fourteen percent that was promised to the rest of the company, was surely the least you could give me". Namir's voice was calm but loud enough to echo around the base of the mountain. At his words, he saw a few of the dwarves faces flicker into uncertainty. It was a relief to see that the dragon sickness had not spread to all of them. 

"You had no right!" 

"I did". A surprised silence echoed with sudden deafness. Thorin whirled and fixed his gaze onto Bilbo. The hobbit was watching the scenes from the corner but his voice had surprised them all. Bilbo met the king under the mountain head on. "I took the gold and gave the bag to Namir for him to take to Dale. He was strong enough to carry it and sneak pass the guards. I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure". 

"You? You'd steal from me?" 

"Steal from you? No. I may be a bugler but I like to think I am an honest one. No. I took it as my fourteenth share and payed back your debts. We owed the people of Laketown that much and I am willing to stand against my claim". 

"Your claim? You have no claim over me! You rat!" Thorin's shout bounced around them in echos. 

"You are changed Thorin", Bilbo raised his voice. "The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word. Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!"

unedited