Chapter 10 - Beautiful Monster

The day after, Aliya decided to resume her training. She thought she couldn’t slacken now, and the pill of the murder seemed to be definitely swallowed. Jay and Eli began to give her more and more important missions and observed her. She didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger anymore, and her performances were very satisfying. But several weeks later, they noticed she became more and more violent, mainly when she fought against the Golden Path. Aliya seemed to enjoy killing her enemies with her kukri when she could. She said that it was more satisfying to operate like that. She chiefly did it when the battlefield appeared to be a village; it was safer to the villagers as they couldn’t receive stray bullets. And she wouldn’t give anything to see another ruined village or innocent dead bodies.

When she returned to the palace, Sati had difficulties to recognize her. She became quite dry in her words and often wanted to be alone. The old lady regretted the feminine complicity moments she was attached to, and was very sad to see her protégée smiling less and less. Pagan, who was busy with the particularly frequent recurrences of the Golden Path, also noticed his dove’s recent change.

One day, as Sati came in Aliya’s room to clean it up, she met Pagan whistling on the balcony. She came to him.

-Pagan…are you okay?

-Sati…do you think I made an error by making her a mercenary? Yet, she told me she liked what she was doing…so why this sudden change?

-I don’t know…and this make me worry.

-I understand…ah…I wish our lips touched themselves again…

-…Excuse me?!

He turned toward Sati, surprised.

-…She didn’t tell you?

-No! When did that happened?!

-Ahh…well, today, it is one month ago since that event. She came to apologize to have spent days out of the palace. I invited her to walk in the garden and after some confessions we kissed.

-Ohh! And you didn’t talked to me too, you little rascal!

He took a childish air and put his head in his hands laughing stupidly. Sati wisecracked.

-This made you recover your early years, didn’t it?

-Yes…it was a very long time I didn’t feel this sensation…if I were not so well-educated, I swear I would have taken far more than a simple kiss…but I promised I won’t touch rush her.

-I admire your wisdom!

She put her hand on his, who smiled and laid his head on her shoulder.

-…Do you know what she said before we kissed?

-No, my dear; tell me.

-She said I was a good person.

-Oh, this is so cute!

-Isn’t it a little disappointing to see someone like me being so weak in front of a woman?

-It is a bit surprising at the beginning, but I think it is a good thing.

-Really?

She stroked his forelock.

-You are in love, Pagan, it is normal to see your behavior change in front of the one you love.

-All this make me become a young man again…for the first time since ages I feel like I am delighted again…thanks to my little mercenary dove who helps me to purify Kyrat. I would love if she accepted to become my queen…but she is so stubborn!