The sand goes round in circles

by Daantjie_fanatics on ao3

warnings: nose bleed and vomit

summary: Bruno has an involuntary vision, so Julieta and Pepa help him through it.

"Dolores, where is Bruno?" Abuela said, when Bruno's seat was left empty. A decade ago her voice was infused with irritation, now it was just laced with worry after all that had happened. Bruno was generally a little scattered and evasive, but he'd never actually missed a meal since Casita was rebuilt.

Dolores tilted her head. "He's snoring."

Abuela's shoulders untensed. "Well, I suppose he's been working hard, best let him sleep. Gracias Dolores." She turned back to the family, "Let's eat!"

~

Just up on the next floor, Bruno was tightly curled up in his hammock. His brows were creased, sweat shining on his forehead. He'd been drifting in and out of consciousness the whole night, just about to give up when he opened his eyes and his headache hit new levels of pain. Groaning, he slapped his hands to his face, blocking any light bouncing off the sand. He supposed this was one of the few drawbacks of his room's remodel being less dungeon-like. There were less stairs; a living space with hammocks and cushions, with an upper level complete with vision space and frames for glass prophecies.

Slowly, he shifted his hands further away from his face, letting in a bit of the sun. Unfortunately, in all his tossing and turning, the gesture was just enough to upset the hammock. Bruno hit the ground with a thud of resignation.

"Ow."

His brain shook against his skull with a force that pulsed. His eyes burned at the light. Well, he could kid himself that was the reason, but it had been a good few months since his last vision, being for Mirabel, and another had been building ever since Casita returned. He'd not yet convinced the whole town of his good intentions though, and had promised himself he would before bringing back the curse that coated his reputation before.

He pushed himself up on shaking arms.

"What time is it?" He groaned again. His eyes widened. "Wait, Morning. Breakfast." Food, healing food. He had a chance against his migraine... if he could get downstairs. Pushing himself to stand, and waiting a moment for the vertigo to pass, Bruno made his way to the kitchen.

Approaching at an angle, Bruno cursed himself when he saw the dining room was empty, table already cleared, but the kitchen wasn't. Julieta was busying herself with housework, humming a tune to herself. Bruno flattened himself against the wall beside the door.

On his shoulder Mercedes, the rat, made eye contact with him.

~

Julieta was sorting the few leftovers onto wrapped plates to store, moving any spare crockery to the sink. Just the same as her cooking, her cleaning had a ritual-type calming sensation, quelling most anxieties that had sprung up in her life. Turning to the table, she paused, unsure and startled.

On the table, beside a plate of arepas, was a rat, stood over it like it had been caught mid-thievery. It's paws were outstretched. It was staring at her.

Her shoulders untensed.

"Come on in Bruno." She smiled to herself, putting down what she was carrying. "Don't let your rats steal from my kitchen or I'll get Antonio to set the leopard on them."

Bruno winced, and poked out from around the door frame. "Busted."

Julieta huffed and cleared her workspace of washing. "Sit, I'll make you some breakfast."