Green Eyes

by Bleuzies on Ao3

warnings: repeated words (? idk)

summary: Casita is finally rebuilt and Bruno Madrigal is living with his familia once more. But after a heartfelt talk with his sisters send him down a spiral, he's forced to acknowledge that this is something they can't push back under the rug.

Bruno Madrigal was finally home — well, finally living inside his home, not in its walls. It was a miracle really, he never thought that he would be able to face his familia again, let alone for them to welcome him back with open arms.

But as he laid on his bed, his eyes watching as the gold pendulum of the old grandfather clock swung side to side in a repetitive tune, he was hit with the realization that this wasn't going to last forever. He knew that all the excitement from finally reuniting with his hermana's was bound to wear off sooner or later, especially now that Casita was up and running again, so there would be nothing distracting them from having a very long (and dreadful) talk about where he's been, why he left, and what to do next.

Bruno sighed heavily before focusing back on the clock. He screwed his eyes shut and let the ticking of the clock echo through his room.

Tick.

He thought about Julieta and the face she had made when he found him trying to leave Casita for the first time. He'd gathered up all the courage he had just to even think about leaving his family - his home. So when he heard his name being desperately called in the middle of the night, his hand hovering shakily over the doorknob, his heart immediately burned with guilt.

"Brunito," eyes glued to the bag of belongings he'd been holding, Julieta's voice cracked slightly when she whispered. "Where — just where are you going?"

Bruno swallowed before answering. "I was just going for a walk."

"In the middle of the night?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"With a huge bag of luggage?"

He didn't respond to that.

Julieta briskly walked over to him and snatched the bag from his hands before dropping it on the ground.

"Bruno, hermano," she began, her eyes flickering with something that seemed like sadness — maybe anger? Julieta always made sure to keep her emotions in check so it was difficult to tell what she was feeling. "Why were you trying to leave? Did we — Did I do something wrong?"

"No, Julieta. You did nothing wrong. No one did anything wrong." Bruno wrapped her in a tight hug.

"Then why? Why are you trying to leave? I just - I don't understand why everything's falling apart. First what happened with Mirabel and now you?" Hot tears streamed down his sister's cheeks as she choked on a loud sob. "And I know she doesn't say it but mamá is so disappointed. She doesn't even talk to Mirabel anymore. I know she's in shock because no one in the family has never gotten a gift before but Mira is still a child. She thinks it's her fault her gift didn't come."

Bruno tightened his hand into a fist. Seeing Julieta weep hysterically into his shoulder made him want to throw all his belongings back into his closet but he knew how his mamá was, and if she ever found out that Mirabel could be a threat to their Encanto, she'd do anything to keep it safe.

Even if it hurts Mirabel.

So Bruno bit down on his lip and brushed Julieta's hair as she shared her troubles because it was the least he could do for his older sister.

"Bruno promise me you won't leave, okay?" Julieta's pleading brown eyes met his, her hand clutching his ruana in a deathly grip. "Please Brunito, I need you."